!!! PLEASE NOTE !!! - THIS GUIDE LOOKS A LOT BETTER IF YOU COLLAPSE THE MENU FROM THE LEFT OF THE PAGE, YOU BEING ABLE TO ENJOY IT FULLY. THANKS.
Hello GTA Network member, we are glad to have you a part of our ever growing community! This, if you have noticed, might be the biggest community a game ever had. This forum was absolutely modified over 9 years now, and I doubt you've ever seen something like this before. There are a lot of things you should know before entering the fun.
As you can see, there are over 490,000 members on this forum, and over 7,800,000 posts. Remember, this forum was created back in November 2001, when the admins decided to open a GTA forum, which was called in the past 'GTA3Forums.com' dedicated to GTA III which was the start of all you can see now.
This topic is called 'Newbie Guide', so it will tell you all the basics you should know about this forum. All the important topics, all the funny games that are being played on this forum, the history of this network, staff and everything else you might need.
So, I'll tell you in my next posts everything about this network. But, firstly, I've made a little content of all the information this topic contains, you being able to click on it, and it will lead you to what you're looking for. So then, here we go! Have fun!
The staff decided back in October 2007 that medals would look awesome in member's profiles. The awarding system they made was based very much on the old karma system, but far better. Getting these is absolutely a hard work, and hardly you get one. But, there are smart people who have contributed to the GTA Network a lot. Below, I've made a little guide, that I hope will help you understanding how the awarding system works, everything being categorized, so take a look!
These are commendations given by only moderators or administrators. These are are given by the staff to people who have contributed to the forum a lot! And not only the forum, but the whole GTA Network.
There are many people who have a medal these days but believe me, they've done a lot of work. How do you know which are the medals? Well, look under someone's profile that you can see in the member's posts. Here is a picture that shows you where the medal appears in someone's profile, and how it looks like (it's the surrounded one). To watch the reason why the member got the medal, put the mouse over the medal icon, and the commendation will appear. The background of the commendation text is some kind of transparent, so it looks quite good. There are 3 type of medals you can see in that place, under someone's profile information. Let me show you!
This is the simple medal. Over 85% of people who have won medals have got this type of medal. This medal uses to be the bronze medal, even if it looks a little too shiny. Anyway, you have this kind of medals from 1 to 4 commendations. After you've won 4 commendations, you get this...
Here you see the level 2 of medals. This is the Silver Medal which you get only if you have 4 or 5 commendations. It's very hard to get, but the nice combination of blue and silver colors makes you want one. But this is just the level 2 of medals, if you get 6 or more commendation, you'll get this...
The great gold medal. This is owned just by people who have 6 or more commendations on this board. At the moment, only two members have 6 commendations & one 7. It looks purely awesome, and gives you full respect from most people who see your posts. Sure, it's an very very hard work to get something like this, usually over years.
These are the kind of medals that appear automatically when you watch a post of someone who has got a commendation. Now, the commendation and the medal is not the same thing. When you see a medal and put the mouse on it, you see a commendation, or more types. There are 5 different type of commendations. Let me show you an example. This guy, gamesguru, has got two kinds of commendations. Here is a picture to show exactly what I mean. Look at the surrounded commendations, I hope you see the difference between them. Now, let me show you all kind of commendations, what they mean, and how you can get them.
This one is the GTANet Annual Award. You can get this, by winning on the GTANet Annual Awards. Winning this you have to concentrate over a thing that you want to win. Concentrating about more things will make you win nothing. This means an effort all the year. But, if you do the best year's mod, you can win. To read more about these, go to the annual awards section.
The GTANet Contribution Award. This is given to people who do some kind of contribution to the GTA Network which is very helpful to people. Please note that you can do such contribution anywhere on the network, not only GTAForums. You get this by posting helpful or interesting topics.
The Helpfulness Award. Almost self-explained. You can get this one if you work for the GTA Network for more years. Getting this, means either a lot of Verbal Commendations, or cleaning out spam, if you're a moderator or a led-by. Posting good topics or doing a lot of reports too, will make staff notice and will give you this kind of commendation. Good luck!
The Provocative Discussion Award. This type of medal can be received by creating many provocative posts, debating well and generally everything related to posting. Making interesting posts and topics and discussing different subjects on the forum.
The Major Contribution/Achievement Award. This use to be the biggest and the best commendation the staff could ever give. It's absolutely supreme to the other and it's VERY hard to get one. Sure, there are the old school guys who have helped the forum in the past too, so it's not a REALLY big deal to get one, just a lot of work.
The only ones who can give you these awards is just the staff. To get something like this, the staff has to see your topic/post which helps a lot of people. When you get a commendation or at least a verbal commendation, you'll get a PM (Personal Message) from a moderator or an administrator. That entry will as well be added in your member log (read more about it here).
Another way is to win on an annual award category. This way you get an award too. You get a medal which is visible in your posts, topics, profile. How to be sure that you got an commendation? Well, the staff usually sends you a PM with the title 'GTA Forums Mailer:: You have been Verbally Commended/Commended/Verbal Warned, etc.' (read more about it here). Then the PM starts with something like 'The following reason was given for this Ban/Warning/Commendation'.
Not really much stuff to say about the awarding system, as it is quite easy to understand and smart thought.
The annual awards is like a 'race' between different people who have contributed on the Network. Every year, the staff organizes these awards, usually at the beginning of the next year. So, if the awards are about the year 2008, than it will take place in early 2009, and so on. The reason why they do these awards is because they want to give medals and commendation to people who are voted by other people for being the most/best at something.
These annual awards are not new but got a dramatic turn back in 2007 when the medals were introduced. The annual awards were first organized back in 2003, when the winners have won karma stars. All these topics are posted in the Announcements sub forum.
The annual awards start with the nominations topic. Here people post, respecting a template, one or more persons who they nominate to be added in the polls. After some time, usually two weeks, the nominations topic is closed by the staff, and some time later when the polls are ready, the staff announces in a new topic about this. There is also a special site made only for the GTANet Annual Awards where the members vote in the polls. The site is located here. After some time, again about two weeks the polls close, and the winners are announced in a new topic.
Doing these events happen requires a lot of time spent by admins and moderators, so you should respect their work. Usually when someone gives a major help at these, he/she is being rewarded. You know who won these kind of awards looking at someone's medal title 'GTANet Annual Award'.
Let me show you the list of topics in the Announcements sub forum related to the GTANet Annual Awards.
Well, well. The old classic karma stars. Were invented back in 2003 when the Annual Awards started as well. These are small and nice stars () which were, until 2007, in the same place where the medals are now. All the people who had 5 karma stars in the past, have now the GTANet Contribution Award which says "Previous karma level carried over to the new system. Thanks for your contributions."
In the past, people who have reached 10.000 posts, had spinning karma stars, which made their profile much more special. Also, there are people who are EXTREMELY important, who had over 25 karma stars! In my honestly opinion, is sad how all the categories won in the past by people to be awarded in only one single medal. Like happened to Mxyzptlk in the 2005 awards.
These would be everything related to the karma stars. Hope you understand how the system worked before 2007.
Not really something useful but I feel the need to add these people who have received a very nice collection of commendations. From people and people I've found a very small no. of members. For me these are gold people.
Anyway, here I'll post some members who have a special collection of awards which no one else has. It's something like a wall of fame for these people. So, let the list start!
Dutchy3010 - This woman has the most entries on this forum, 9 of them. You've got to scroll down all the page to see the whole log. Absolutely insane, and clearly showing a massive contribution to these forums in the last years!
Girish - This person is a great asset to the forums, a good reason why he's got the most variety of commendations in his log.
lil weasel - The only one on the forum who has 3 entries, all in the Helpfulness Award commendation. Very nice.
Narcis_speed6 - All commendations together would get us at 16. The guy that owned the last 4 years' awards with all the votes he has got for all the work, as a result the only 7 entries in the log.
Ryan - The fourth one, and I've got to say that youngest, who has got a gold medal on this forum. Together with Dutchy, they've got together 16 commendations!
Wolf68K - The quy with the biggest and most powerful commendations on the board. Two solid major contribution awards together with two contribution awards. An asset for us.
These would be the list of the special medal collection guys. Please note, that I don't want to ignore anybody else who has commendations and even silver medal. I just wanted to make a list of people who have the nice commendation collection. Everyone is special in his own way, and even if you, who is reading this, and have a medal, you should know you're cool.
This post has been edited by miromiro on Friday, Mar 1 2013, 16:27
Because almost all GTAs are playable online, there are also gangs. Well, let's say that 'online gangs' is not really the best title. Because of the famous gangs, there are also official gangs which you can see here on the forums too. I made a little guide, although I'm not in any gang yet, where I can give you information related to them and how to join them, so have a look.
You can see these gangs here on GTAForums. How did these gangs become official? Well, because of their members' work around the forums. So, the admins decided to make them official. Being a member of an official gangs means that you have another member group, and you can have a private sub forum here on GTAForums visible only to you, your gang and the staff members. Joining a gang is not easy, you have to prove that you're a good member around the forums. If you do good, a gang leader will contact you using the PM system, asking if you want to join that gang.
You can also request to be in a gang, but you have to PM the gang leader or someone from that gang. You will most probably get refused, because every gang leader wants only the best members for its gang. However, I've made here a list of all official gangs on GTAForums. I PMed a lot of guys related to the gangs so I could get useful information related to them. Unfortunately, there were members who didn't give me information related to their gangs. I'm really sorry, but there will be gangs where I just don't know what to say related to them. There have been, luckily, gang members who gave me the minimum information needed. So, take a look! Something to note: recently the pips of each groups have been re-added. Pips are some icons that are different from each gang. These differ from gang to gang, each of them having a different style and colors. I've posted the pip next to each group name, so if you see members with these icons above their member group and under they're member title, you shall know what they are.
$outh $ide Hoodz - I've got no information from anybody relate to this gang. If any gang member can give me information related to this gang, feel free to send me a Personal Message or tell me in this topic.
Andolini Mafia Family - I've got no information from anybody relate to this gang. If any gang member can give me information related to this gang, feel free to send me a Personal Message or tell me in this topic.
Leone Family Mafia - I've got no information from anybody relate to this gang. If any gang member can give me information related to this gang, feel free to send me a Personal Message or tell me in this topic.
City Link - Other than its unofficial version in 2005-2006 was voted the best unofficial gang but disbanded moments before the official gang race. Then later this year, Daz deployed a strike against that winner, and absorbed the gang into what it is now. (information given by Daz)
The Connection -
~Top of the Food Chain~
At one time part of a Mafia based alliance, The NYCC have moved on to a no frills, no gimmicks, solid figure-head of the official gang scene which has come to represent the New York "State of Mind" rather than calling upon it's mafia based roots. If you are lucky enough to be asked into this crew then you are brushing elbows with GTAF royalty, the people who actually maintain and work for this site. And as recently seen a NYCC member can start a gang at will and have it receive instant steam based on the association alone. With a sardonic and sick sense of humor truly befitting the GTA theme these guys are a working pack of artists, free-thinkers and moderators, unrivaled at this site they are considered The Crown Jewel of the GTAF Gang Scene.
Thank your lucky karma stars,
1.Aprox. How old is your gang here at GTAF?
We formed July 2003-ish, so it's been almost 3 years. Those were good days - mainly because we didn't have to listen to people moan constantly about how sh*t the gang scene was.
2. Were they always known by there current name or were they result of a merge or have had a namechange at any point?
We changed our name to the Genovese Family shortly before we were made official. A few months after becoming official, we changed back to The NYC Connection because we started losing members and felt that the mafia theme was dragging us down a bit - The NYC Connection was more original, we thought.
3. Approx. How long were they unofficial before going official?
~4 months. I remember some people were pissed off after we won the gang race because their gangs had been around for an awful lot longer than we had (we were considered fairly new at the time).
4. What was the main factor at the time of going official that you attribute to your success?
A strong member list, a strong leader and an original setup. There was nobody in the gang you hadn't heard of - most of them had experienced the official scene aswell as the unofficial scene and were generally well respected across the forum. Candarelli (founder & leader at the time) had already been in several different gangs and led 2 (I think) of them to officiallness, so his knowledge and experience was a huge advantage to us.
5. Who in the gang is currently still around and generally active?
Myself, Alfresco, Dalpura, JernejL, Lazzo, Luke, Mario, Mike, Opius, steve-m, and Tsuroki are probably most active - the rest are semi-active. Some of the older members still visit ocassionally (Candarelli, Duke Nukem, etc.)
6. Sometimes leaders let people stand in for them, while they are inactive, who currently is assuming most of the leadership responsibilities in your gang?
The NYCC basically runs itself, but we have 4 people over-looking things - myself, Lazzo, Opius and Dalpura - incase there is ever a big decision to be made (which there probably never will be. ). Minor things like updates/memberlist cleanups etc. are handled mostly by myself.
7.What would you say is the overall, look, feel and theme for your gang.
Social. We have a huge variety of members - modders, graphixors, writers, coders etc. and that's one of the things that makes us unique.
8.What are the general benefits and perks of having membership in your gang (go wild on this one).I'll let Tsuro field this one, if you don't mind:
9. Do you have a sub-gang, if no are you still recruiting at this time?
We don't have a sub-gang, but we are always on the lookout for new recruits. We'll accept a member if we feel that that member is right for The NYCC, and that member has a desire to join us.
10. What are your plans for the future?
We're trying to increase activity within the gang at the moment. We have a lot of modders and gamers so we're considering forming a VC:MP/SA:MP clan-type-thingy. SA:MP hasn't been released yet but I've played it myself and there's a number of people in the gang that are involved with the development of the mod, so it should be interesting to see how it takes off and hopefully other gangs will consider doing something similar.
The five boroughs: 1: Manhattan, 2: Brooklyn, 3: Queens, 4: Bronx, 5: Staten Island
The Precinct - I've got no information from anybody relate to this gang. If any gang member can give me information related to this gang, feel free to send me a Personal Message or tell me in this topic.
Zaibatsu - Zaibatsu was formed in 2005 by Warlord. It initially received a lot of hostility from older members as it was believed to be disrespecting the 2002 version of the Zaibatsu which had disbanded long before. It was then that admin MyMothersMySister stepped in and took over the gang, making it much more respectable.
The gang's theme was that of the Zaibatsu in GTA 2 and 3, a pharmaceutical corporation with a drug racket behind its legal exterior. The colours used for the Zaibatsu are primarily yellow, black and blue.
Zaibatsu enjoyed 2 years of high activity in the unofficial gang scene. Waddy had since taken on leadership of the gang after MyMothersMySister went more inactive. Zaibatsu often argued with rivals the FBI and Q-Media. In 2007 though, the gang won the Official Gang race and was accepted as an official gang.
Despite small furores of activity in the Multiplayer Gang scene (Notably "The Lab" and "Keiritsu"), the group has stayed primarily within it's private forums. Things have been relatively quiet but they are still taking on new members to keep things fresh in the group as well as to keep a connection with the Multiplayer scene. A lot of the Zaibatsu's older members are still in the gang, including Waddy, uni, Ottae, Canoxa and *gta star*.
Please forgive me for not having any information related to the official gangs, but if people didn't want to answer to my PMs... that's it. However, these section can be still filled up with information if someone has it about any official gang. As I said, tell me in this topic about the information you have, or send me a Personal Message and you'll be credited!
There are a lot of gangs around GTAForums. There is a sub forum here on GTAForums dedicate to these gangs, located here. Not all are official, some of them are new and unofficial. I made a small questionnaire about what you might ask when you want to join on of these gangs. So, take a look.
How do I join a gang? Well, there is a topic called 'Looking For A Gang?'. Just read it, and completed that questionnaire there. If some gang leader sees your request, and he likes you, he'll PM you if you want to join his gang. And now it's up to you - if you want or not.
What are all those topics with those odd names? Those are gangs! Almost every gang leader has posted in that sub forum his topic with his gang's description. As always, there will be a questionnaire you have to complete. Than, in that topic, someone from the gang staff will decide if they accept you or not. However, the gangs being small, you have high chances to be accepted!
I thought of making a list of all unofficial GTAForums gangs, so you can choose the one you want to join. However, there is a topic called 'Current GTAForums Gangs' where all the gangs are listed but because there are new gangs since the last update, I decided to make list a little bit updated but without all the information in that topic!
Gangs marked with an asterisk (*) are free-for-all, with little restrictions on membership. They can be more suitably referred to as clubs or guilds. I'd like to thank to Mr. Reaper. for his gang list which is more than awesome! This would be everything about the unofficial gangs, you are free to request a join in any of the gangs above. Good luck!
This post has been edited by miromiro on Monday, Apr 1 2013, 12:43
He is a little guide that shows you information about your profile and your own information. This part of the general guide is split in five section, each of them with original information, so go and take a look! There's also again a section for the 'Related Topics' part where I post links to other topics related to the subject.
Like on every forum, all users have their own profiles where they tell about themselves, contact and much more. I've made a little guide to tell you what every profile section means and what its use. To be able to see someone's profile you have to be registered on this forum and to be logged in. Banned users can't view your profile.
• Active Stats - These ones show you how active you're on GTAForums, your time settings, and your activity dates.
Total Comulative Posts - This shows you the number of posts you have done on GTAForums since you registered. As well, there's info related to how much you post a day. There's also info about how big is your percentage at posts out of the whole posts.
Joined - The date you registered on the forum.
Most active in - This tells you in which sub forum you have posted more this week. Well, it doesn't reset every Monday, just every 7 days. This means that posts older that 7 days don't count.
User's local time - This is the forum time set originally, but you can change it in your Control Panel.
Last Activity/Last Post - The first one tells you the last time you or some member has been online, and the other one tells you the last time he/she posted on the forum.
GTAGarage - This section tells if you have any GTAGarage mods and the number of downloads they have all together. If not, it will be filled by "No GTAGarage mods".
Currently Viewing - If the member is online, it will either say Board Index, or some topic. It's categorized like this: Forum Category/Sub Forum/Topic.
• Communicate - If you want to contact someone, here you go!
Email - Click there to send to the member an email. But you won't always be able because some users have Private emails. But even if you can, remember that the Admins can see the email you're sending. So, take care of what you write.
IRC Name - If you own IRC Chat client, you can write there the nick you're using on IRC.
Instant Messenger - Write down here your Yahoo! Messenger nickname.
Xbox / Games For Windows Live Gamertag - If you own Xbox Live, you can write here the nick.
PlayStation Network ID - Only if you have PlayStation you can complete the ID.
Personal Message - The best way to communicate with a person. You send her/him an PM and she/he will get a POP-UP. These are not viewable by Admins.
Report to Moderator - You can use this to report a member who's profile breaks the rules, such like posting adult stuff, etc. Also, you can use this to report members who have over-sized signatures (I use it very much). You need to fill there with info, to tell the reason why you're reporting that member.
• Information - Tells you the real information about the member such as birthday, location, etc.
Home Page - If you have some site or forum, post here the link to it.
Birthday - When's your birthday. PLEASE NOTE: some people post the date when their next birthday will be. It's wrong! Post the day when you were born. Usually under 2000.
Location - Where are you living? Write down here!
Interests - Do you have any other interests that GTA? Tell them here.
Gender - Male or Female? Or if you don't want to tell, choose 'Not Telling'.
Favorite GTA - Out of all GTAs ever made, choose the one you like most. If you can't decide, choose 'Grant Theft Auto' which means that all.
Respect list - Here you can complete after a while you've been on the forum. So, you can find people who help you and who you'll respect.
• Posting Details - This section appears every time when you post excepting some small things.
Member Group - This usually is Members. But, if you're in an official gang, you'll have the gang name as your member group.
Member Title - Here you get automatically a member title. It will change every time you get an amount of posts. Still, after you get 11 posts, you can put the member title you want.
Here you control your whole GTAForums setting, profile settings, time, date, contacting, skin and everything else related to GTAForums. To get there, just look at the the top of the page, under 'Logged in as:'. Major thanks to nerner for creating The User Control Panel for Dummies which is also a good guide related to these subjects!
• Messenger - Almost all setting you need in contacting someone, and receiving messages.
Compose New Message - It's like the PM system. You only have to write the name to who you want to send the message. Complete at Recipient's Name with someone you have on the list or write the name of the guy.
Go To Inbox - It will send you to the Inbox. The place where you have all undeleted PMs.
'-- Sent Items - If you sent any PMs to someone, here you'll see the list of them.
Empty PM Folders - Here you can delete all PMs you got/sent. Double-Check before doing any action, there's no undo.
Edit Storage Folders - The stocks (Inbox, Sent Items), can't be deleted. You can make here your own sections on where to get/send PMs such like Inbox, and can also delete this categories, including the PMs!
PM Buddies/Block List - If you want to add or block someone to send you PMs, here's the place!
Archive Messages - To get this working, you have to achieve messages. After that you get via email an attachment containing the last 17 PMs, all in one file.
Saved (Unsent) PMs - If you PM someone and don't want to send the message in that moment, you can save it and send it later. When you'll want to send the message go to this section and find the PM!
Message Tracker - If you sent a PM to someone, and he/she still didn't answer, you can check here if he/she read the PM yet or not.
• Subscriptions - You get an Email about a new topic/post in the forum/topic you have subscribed. To open the feature list, click on the button available in each topic.
View Topics - If you have subscribed to a topic, you'll get an Email every time when someone posts in that topic. To subscribe, press the Options button, and click on 'Track this topic'. This way you have subscribed to a topic!
View Forums - If you have subscribed to a sub forum, you'll get an Email every time when someone posts a new topic in that sub forum. To subscribe, press the Options button, and click on 'Subscribe to this forum'.
Edit Profile Info - The place where you can modify your whole Information section from your public profile and Posting Details.
Edit Signature - You can edit here your signature. Remember, don't exceed with no pixel 500x150 and 80kb the signature size!
Edit Avatar Settings - The avatar settings. There are also some galleries of which you could choose an avatar you like. (read more about it here).
Change Personal Photo - You can change your Personal Photo. But remember, don't exceed 250x250 pixels or it won't save.
• Options - Here you can change your view settings, email, etc.
Email Settings - Here you can control the way people send emails to you. Everything you need to check or uncheck is there, so take a look.
Board Settings - If you want to change anything to the board setting only for yourself, than here you go. You can change everything from time, to the way you see posts. It's up to your preferences.
Skin and Language - You can't change the language, as the only choice is English, but you can change the forum skin! You have 16 chosable skins, so have fun. And if you want to get back to the stock one, remember that it's called GTANET 2k4 (default skin).
Change Email Address - Changed your email? Where here you can change your forum email as well! You'll need to complete a security code, but it easy; just like when you register.
Change Password - If you want to change your password to something easier/harder to remember/guess than here is the place. PLEASE NOTE: if you forgot your password, this is not the place. For that, Click Here!
This is another awesome and interesting thing on GTAForums! It's really original and makes the forum look awesome. There are thousands of forums where you don't have limits at signatures. Well, not here. And this is a good thing. Let me show you how your signature should be like and how to adjust it!
Everyone has the same space for signatures. The space in 500x150 pixels INCLUDING TEXT. Sorry, I had to do it. People think that this rule works only for the image. Well, that's wrong. Let me show you a little example of good signature, which even if it looks over-sized, it's not.
This signature is owned by !!GameCH33TA!!. It looks quite good, includes an image, useful links, and nice colors! And it's under 500x150 pixels!
One other rule would be that you can't have a signature over 80kb. This would be too much for the server. Because this forum is big, a lot of MB would be created only from signatures, so the staff takes it easy. If you see any red, and I mean ANY red, means that everything went wrong. Also, you can have a nice signature even with 80kbs, like I showed above.
If you want to see the rules of the signatures, take a look here. (Thanks to nerner for the picture).
You will need a little more help related to signatures, as it's a long story about them. So, here are some useful links!
Signature Size Rules - There's a list of all the signature rules, what happens if you break the rules, etc.
There are thousands of people who have over-sized signatures. All of them either didn't read the signature rules, haven't seen them, or made a little mistake when they made their signature. This thing makes the forum look bad, and it is a big space used away for the server. If there would be over 1.000 members with over-sized signatures in the same time, the forum would slow down as hell.
Even if the signature is over-sized with 2 pixels or 200 pixels, it's still over-sized! Let me show you some examples of over-sized signatures.
Can you see the surrounded red lines? This is an over-sized signature! You should see NO RED in your signature. If you see, it's wrong. Now, that image has the same mistake as the one below.
You should know that it doesn't matter with how much it is over, as long as it is. Remember, these are mistakes, not examples that you should follow.
Reporting Members! Yes, there's no other good way to tell moderators about someone who has an over-sized signatures than reporting the members. How can you detect the members with too big signatures. Well, there would be a lot of ways. Depends of you and your eyes. I, personally, can notice easily the over-sized signatures, as I've made a lot of reports. If the signature is disabled, means that the server doesn't have to support those kb's and it runs with 0.0000001 seconds faster.
How can you report someone? Well, quite easy. Just click on his/her name and take a look at the profile. There you can see if it's over-sized or not. If it's red it's over-sized, if you can't see any red, means that everything's alright. So, Just press on "Report to Moderator" and send an S.O.S (Signature Over Size!). That's the way I do. After that press "Submit Report". Moderators will receive your message, check, and disable if needed. If someone has his signature disabled, you'll see in his posts, instead of his links and images, a text saying "Signature Disabled."
Browsers Glitch! There have been along the years a lot of problems about the browser. If you use FireFox and see an over-sized signature, means that it's true. If you use Chrome or Opera and don't see, means that it's wrong! This seems like some strange bug which is very bad. Thankfully, most people use FireFox, in which you can trust!
Something before finishing... NEVER make a new topic anywhere requesting signature Enabling. There's the Sig Re-Enable Request Thread. in which you can post your request. But, don't ask there before checking, and if needed (most probably) fixing up your signature. Remember, you don't ask there why it was disabled, you ask for enabling.
Like on all world's forums, you have here Avatar choices. There wouldn't be too much to say about the Avatars, just that you need to respect a list of easy rules. Not so many like signatures, as here you can't have over-sized avatars! The size (in pixels) of each avatar is max 64x64 pixels. Yes, you can upload bigger ones, but you can't save them. Here, again, thanks to this limit, the server doesn't need to carry all too many kb's as you can have FANTASTIC avatars within these limits! If you want to upload avatars, within 64x64 pixels, you have a few things to save it as .gif; .jpeg; .jpg & .png.
Also, if you don't have any avatars on your PC which would fit the limits, and you don't know how to make avatars, you can go in the GFX Requests & Tutorials sub forum where are some very talented graphic makers, who can help you out with avatars. You can use otherwise a forum avatar, found in the Avatars Gallery. There would be other smaller galleries depending on each kind of GTA. These are:
Grant Theft Auto III
Grant Theft Auto IV
GTA Chinatown Wars
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA San Andreas
The Ballad of Gay Tony
The Lost and Damned
GTA Vice City
GTA Vice City Stories
IPB Community Pack
An nice collection of which you have to choose. Find the best avatar that suits you!
• Animated Avatars
The simple avatars are well known and easy to create. But what would you think about an animated avatar? Well, guess what, the animated avatars are saved! This means, that you can cut off a part of some video and put it as your avatar. But another nice one would be the one that rotates. Let me show you mine:
Quite nice, eh? If you want these kind of avatars, again, you can request in the GFX Requests & Tutorials sub forum! Good luck in choosing and enjoying your avatar. You can even request to make the forum avatars animated.
Another unique feature which, I think, only GTAForums has. Every member has a member log. This member log is filled up with entries, depends of what kind of actions you're doing around the forum and the whole network! If you do good, you get good, if you do bad, you get warnings! Your member log is only viewable by you and the staff, no other regular member can see it. It is located in your profile under your avatar. A small note would be that this member proclaimed here that he's gotten a Temporary Ban removed off his log, though the information isn't 100% accurate. However, such a thing wouldn't be impossible. Anyway, the Member Log's located in your profile like this:
Member Log | View Member Log
There are 3 red type of member log entries, 3 green types, and 1 white. Let me show you a list of all of them and what each of them means.
Verbal Commendation - You get this if you make a good topic, report spam or created something contributive.
Commendation - If you do something bigger, create a mod, or an event or something that makes the forum look better.
Reminder - For posting one word/smile posts or double posting, for swearing a 'little' too much, etc.
Verbal Warning - If you have posted more than 2 times in a row, or post something in a topic which is not contributive or if you insult someone.
Temporary Ban - Posting disabled for a period. You get this if you insulted too much, or spammed around, etc.
Full Ban - The most dangerous one! Once you get this kind of entry you are banned permanently from GTAForums. Good bye!
Moderator Note - This one is only used when the user switches accounts. Using this entry will have the same effect over the account just as a full ban.
Thanks goes to AndyGanteks for helping me out in this topic understanding how the member logs system works! There was only one other topic related to the member logs which was posted on 27 August 2008 by radicell in the topic called "Member Log". If you want to read about the member log entries, there's also a page on the forum in the Help Topic, located here. The only who can add in your member log is only the staff - always remember. Good luck in getting green entries in your member log!
This post has been edited by miromiro on Monday, Apr 1 2013, 12:49
Hello and welcome to the New Guide - GTA Garage section. Some of you would say that this part of the guide has nothing to do with GTAForums. Well, this guide is about the GTA Network, which also includes GTAGarage. The site is located right here. What is GTAGarage? It's the biggest mod downloads database site for Grand Theft Auto. There are mods for the four most famous GTAs: Vice City, San Andreas, GTA III & GTA IV, GTA 2 & GTA 1. Your GTAGarage profile has the same join date as your GTAForums profile, as the two sites work together. Now, I made a little guide relating to everything else related to GTAGarage; such as Staff, History, and Wall of Fame (Famous Mods) as well as the uploading rules. Enjoy!
GTAGarage has its own staff as well. Without these staff members, GTAGarage, would be a chaos. These guys also have to try out all mods and to choose if they can or not approve a mod. This is an absolutely major contribution to GTAGarage; a reason why you should respect them. Alright, without any other doubt, I made a little list of all the staff members. So, you can view both their GTAGarage profile & GTAForums profile. You can find the GTAGarage moderating team here. The staff members appear on the GTAGarage online list in this color (or at least the closest one I got). Enjoy.
These would be all the staff members. I know the lists don't look too good, but it gives you at least correct information. Same goes for the member color. If I have made a mistake with the member colors, please post in this topic, or send me a PM. You will be added in the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide if you help me. Enjoy.
GTAGarage was created back in 5 Jun 2005. It has improved and was developed along all these years, and it became the site you can see today. Let me show you what the staff said about GTAGarage in its description.
"GTAGarage is a part of the GTA Network, offering a mod hosting service for the modding community of GTAForums alongside the GTAModding Wiki. Started in June 2005, GTAGarage grew with the already huge Grand Theft Auto fanbase to provide the most unique selection of community modding efforts available.
We encourage users to submit mods that are still in development. News, updates and discussion are features available for all mods, allowing modders to interact with their fans and other interested parties. Multiple files can be added to one mod in order to allow multiple version releases and beta or minor releases, along with a selection of screenshots of the mod or tool in action." (source)
The first mod ever submitted on GTAGarage was illspirit's Sarin XTV added on 2 Jun 2005. GTAGarage was developed by Luke & fred. Several other admins could well have had some input on the project. There was a group here on GTAF for all members involved with the project, but it's since been deleted so I can't tell you who was in it. Since 2005-2006, Suction Testicle Man has administrated GTAGarage, and he still does. The site was started to provide hosting for many mods being posted on the forums here, and to succeed gta3mods.com - the content of which was lost to hard drive failure a few years before GTAGarage was launched. (see here)
GTAGarage also has the news section located here. All the news from Tuesday, October 30, 2007 to Thursday, November 05, 2009 are posted there. In the Archive News, page located here, you can search all the news posted from June 2005 to November 2009. Enjoy.
So, I was thinking that you want to upload your mod on GTAGarage, so I made this part of guide to tell you all the rules you have to respect, so your mod can be approved on GTAGarage. I've just pasted here the rules. Have a look.
Submit your own mods only If any other author has been involved (this includes Total Conversions and 'mod packs'), please gain their permission to release the mod, and be sure to credit them where applicable. Do not upload mods 'for' anyone else. Respect your fellow modder! Failure to comply will lead to a permanent ban from the network.
No compilations of mods, or included tools We do not accept packages of existing mods, nor archives that are submitted with existing tools in them, as this creates unnecessary duplicates that clutter the database. Where possible, simply provides links in a readme to download locations for other mods and tools.
No external links Do not post download links to Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc, nor images hosted on free hosting websites like Imageshack - all these files and images will expire over time, leaving dead links on GTAGarage - therefore such links will be removed. All files and screenshots must be hosted at GTAGarage.
No conversions Any files converted between games, especially from GTAIV to other GTAs, must have some creative input from the author. We are not here to host files that are already available on discs in shops. If you wish to help people convert content, please write a tutorial and post it at GTAForums.com.
Keep different versions together If you are uploading a new version of a mod, please update the original mod's Version field, and add the new version as an additional file to that mod.
Descriptions in English Submit your mods in English (or at least provide a translation), and use proper punctuation and grammar. Turn OFF Caps Lock, and don't forget to use a spell checker!
Now I made a little guide where I explain everything you have to fill when you submit your mod. I'm not really sure how correct I'm going to be, so if you find anything wrong, just tell me in this topic or send me a Personal Message and if I find out that you're right, I'll add you on the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide. Now, enjoy what comes!
Mod Name: - Fill here the name your mod has. It must have one. Please choose a suitable name, this will help users find and download your mod. For example, "Green Nike T-Shirt" is preferable to "Cool Mod".
Subtitle: - If you have any subtitle, fill here. Don't enter the same text as your mod's name. You may leave this field blank.
Category: Search for the category your mod best suits!
Please choose a suitable category for your mod (you must choose a subcategory, i.e. an - Indented category).
Compatible with: - Choose the GTA you made your mod for. Which GTA does this mod work with?
Version/Release: - If your mod is not done yet, fill here with the date it will be done. Your release version (not the version of GTA this mod is designed for!). If unsure leave blank, you may edit it later.
Your Website: - If you have some website, please fill here with its URL. Your personal website, if you don't have one, leave it blank. Don't enter 'GTAGarage.com' or a download link - otherwise we will feed you to lions.
Status: - Choose. If your mod is not done yet, choose WIP. If it is, choose 'Complete'.
Type: Choose again. If you fully created this mod yourself or converted it.
Description: - Post a nice description about your mod. In English please! Please enter a clear description of your mod, such as what it changes in the game and how the user can install it. Incomplete or unclear descriptions will not be approved. You may use bbCode tags, but please do not add download links or images, these can be added once your mod is submitted.
This would all the GRAGarage information you need. If you have found something I didn't add, just drop a reply in this topic, or shoot some PM to me, and if I find out that you're correct, you'll be added on the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide. Thanks to Suction Testicle Man for giving me some extra information related to GTAGarage.
This post has been edited by miromiro on Friday, Feb 1 2013, 17:52
GTAForums has the best staff ever. Over the years, all these people have made a lot of tests, projects, modifications, and many other things. There are much more people who were in the moderating team. Unfortunately, all these changes caused a few glitches, bugs and delays on the forum. I made two lists of changes. The first list contains helpful and good changes, and the other one contains the glitches.
Many changes were made on this forum which make it look Brilliant! I don't know if you have noticed all the changes that I listed below, but if not, here they are.
• The online/offline icon - Every member has next to his name, an icon which appears in posts. If the user is online at the time when someone reads his post, he will see this () next to his name. If the member is offline he will have this icon () next to his name.
• Forum Menu in the left - Another awesome modification. The Forum Menu is placed in the left to make the forum look better and more unique. This way, you can easy access the sub forums you want without scrolling and searching on the whole page. Kinda cool, eh?
• The extra info at the top of the page - In all sub forums you can see at the top of the page that there's some information regarding to what the sub forum is for. Some useful links and a few rules. Pretty useful
• The « Collapse Menu | Expand Menu » - Another nice change which allows you to 'remove' the menu in the left. Press Collapse to remove it, and press Expand to get it back. Very interesting!
• The Awarding System - A very big modification to the forum, which you can't see anywhere else! You can read more about it here.
• The Swear Filter - Because the staff knows you can't post always without swearing, they added a * in each swear word to hide a letter. Hole sh*t! Sorry. Do you see?
• The GTAGarage section in profiles - If look in any profile you can see there's a section related to the GTAGarage mods. There says the number of mods and downloads your have. If you haven't any mods it'll appear like No GTAGarage mods. Quite cool.
• The Flag under profile info - You can see in posts the profile of everyone who posted. If you look under the info you can see a flag. Note that the flag doesn't have to be like the country you live in.
• The Member Log Section - Under the avatar, you have a section for you member log. You can click on it to see your WARN page. Only you can the staff can see this page.
• The 'Awards' Section Under the avatar, if you look in the profile of someone else, you can see a section for awards. There are the commendations the member has won. If he hasn't got any, he'll have there filled with the No Awards text.
• The Member Photo Section - In all profiles you can see a section related to the Member Photo. It hasn't to be filled.
• The 'Most Active in' Section - In member's profile you can see under Joined section, the Most Active in section. It tells you in which sub forum you have posted most, this week.
• The 'Currently Viewing' - Another helpful one. If you look in someone's profile, who is online, you can see what he's viewing. Very useful sometimes...
• The 'Leading Forum Visible Only Pip' - Well, this was implement pretty recent. It's like then ADMIN or the MOD pips but they're for led-bys. Please note that they're only visible in the posts of the led by in the forum he's moderating.
• The Signature Section - You can see in all profiles that the member has a big green rectangle which shows that space for the signature.
• The 'white to black' member names - If you take a look at th bottom of the board index, you can see all the members who are online. (excepting Anonymous). If you look you can see your name being pure white, while the name of the last guy on the list is grey-black. This means that over 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll move slowly down the page. The last guy on the list is the first guy who made an action in the past 15 minutes. After the times passes, and 15 minutes are done, he disappears. This uses to be the coolest modification the staff ever made, I think!
• Simple & Bold member names - If you take a look again at the bottom of the page you can see your name first or second. You see it in Bold. Now, if you go in a topic or a sub forum, and look at the bottom of the page you see that your name isn't in bold anymore! Very nice one.
Doing all the changes listed above, meant a lot of tests, projects and experiment which affected the forum. I've made, again, a little list of the glitches that I found out while I was here. There are a few one, but I'm pretty sure that there are more of which I don't know. That's why, if it's something I didn't list, just drop a reply and tell me. So, here we go!
• 502/504 Bad Gateway - An glitch which doesn't let GTAForums members to see the forum. It appears like a white screen where it says in big bold letters 502 BAD GATEWAY or something like this. Luckily, the admins can fix it, but it's annoying until you wait for someone to fix...
• The join date of illspirit - If you can see in his profile, it says that he joined back in 1 May 1976, when GTA didn't even exist. Most probably not even the internet or computers!
• Last Activity/Last Post glitch to old school dudes - If you take a look at someone who registered before 2002, and he hasn't posted or hasn't been online since 2002, you'll see in his profile that it says the last activity either in 1 Jan 1970 or 31 Dec 1969. You DO realize that that's a bug, as the forum didn't exist so long ago. It's just a glitch which in which you can trust!
• Spaceeinstein's missing signature - If you look at spaceeinstein profile you see that he has a signature. But if you search one of his posts, you'll see that his signature is missing. Quite odd bug.
• Double Signature - Take a look at this guy and you'll see that his signature space is double as high as normal. Pretty odd.
• The Account Modify Glitch - When a user gets his profile modified by either administrators or moderators, their signature will turn into BBCodes & HTML Codes. It can be restored thought by the User's Control Panel.
I made this sub category because I didn't find any good place to suit the information that this one contains. So, because it's interesting and useful stuff, I decided that it's worth its own category. I use this one to tell you the small things such like the member groups, member titles, etc. So, here we go!
* Member Groups
Every user is in a member group. Either a forum group or an official gang. Please note that not all gangs are member groups. Only the official ones which are very few. I listed here all the member groups and written also what each of them means. I have marked with the 'Official Gang' words to the member groups which are in fact gangs. Just click on the 'Official Gangs' words to jump all the information. Enjoy!
• Andolini Mafia Family - Official Gang
• Awaiting Authorisation - This is a second way to ban someone. This doesn't let you post anymore, and has almost the same disabled feature like banned. Usually only the old account are placed in this group, when a new account is registered by the same user. This is as well used for newbies that require Administrator validation to access the forum.
• BUSTED! - Yes, the best. Nope, just kidding. You're full banned if you are in this group. Worst group ever. Why is it called busted? Well, you're doing something wrong and the cops (admins) catch you, then you get busted (banned). Get in the prison, fool!
• Forum Admins - The highest rank someone has on the forum. These people are almost all registered before 2004. So, you need a lot of years of work to get that rank. This group has been lately split into more groups.
• Leone Family Mafia - Official Gang.
• Members - Self explained. A simple member who has same features as 95% of the forum users. You, being a newbie, are first a member. After that depends of your behavior if you'll advance to Admin or BUSTED!
• Moderators - Yes, the second most powerful group after the Administrators. You don't want to joke with these guys, as they can ban you faster than you even registered! So, take care!
• Network Admins - The people in this group have the same administration power on GTAForums, but they only take care of the GTA Network, not the forum. Still, they visit this forum. This is a brand new group.
• City Link - Official Gang
• Retired Staff - Retired Moderators or Administrators. You can jump to their section which is located right here.
• Rockstar Games - Only one famous user is in this member group. You have to be a programmer of the Rockstar Games studio to be in this group, and to prove that!
• The Connection - Official Gang
• The Precinct - Official Gang
• Zaibatsu - Official Gang
• $outh $ide Hoodz - Official Gang
* Member Titles
When you first register on this forum and make your first post, you can see your member title (located under your avatar), saying 'Player Hater'. Well, this doesn't mean that you hate GTA. Just get about 10 posts and you can change your member title however you want. So, remember, the member title you get is if you have posts between that amount and the previous one. This doesn't mean to spam like a fool just to get some member title. Anyway, here's a list of all the member titles you get if you DON'T change your member title.
0 posts = Player Hater
50 posts = Crackhead
75 posts = Square Civilian
100 posts = Rat
150 posts = Snitch
200 posts = Punk-ass Bitch
250 posts = Mark Chump
300 posts = Trick
350 posts = Peon
400 posts = Prankster
450 posts = Street Cat
500 posts = Thug
600 posts = Hustler
700 posts = Playa
800 posts = Mack Pimp
900 posts = Homeboy
1000 posts = Homie
1200 posts = Li'l G Loc
1400 posts = Foot Soldier
1600 posts = Soldier
2000 posts = Gangsta
3000 posts = Ghetto Star
3500 posts = Big Homie
5000 posts = Boss
7500 posts = OG
10000 posts = High Roller
12000 posts = General
16000 posts = Godfather
25000 posts = King of San Andreas
30000 posts = Spammer
50000 posts = Spammaster
This post has been edited by miromiro on Monday, Apr 1 2013, 12:51
Hello and welcome in the part of the guide where I'll show you how to make your post look good. All the BBCodes available, how they work, how they look like, some nice tricks, and many more! I have split this section in three parts, to make it easier to read, for you. Enjoy!
These kind of tags require only a open door  and a close door [/]. Quite easy. Just put your words between those 'doors' and see the magic. But, I want to make it easier, so you don't have to test anything yourself, just take a look at the tricks below and have fun!
• The bold tag. It is usually used when you want to make someone pay more attention to the word you've put in bold. How it works? Look below, I've put the 'GTAForums' word in bold.
I like [b]GTAForums.[/b]
RESULT: I like GTAForums.
• The italics tag. This is most used when you want to make your post nicer, or you want to say something that may be offtopic. Let me show you how it works! I've put the word 'nice' in italics.
Admins are [i]nice[/i]
RESULT: Admins are nice.
• The underline tag. Most used when you post a link in your post. Sure, you can use it for something else too, but people usually put the mouse over the underlined word. I've underlined here the word 'pancakes'. Take a look.
I love [u]pancakes[/u].
RESULT: I love pancakes.
• The strike tag. Not used too much. Maybe because it isn't in the posting menu. But it exists! It's used when you annul something that you wanted to do. Let me show you how it works. I stroke the word 'bad'.
I am [s]bad[/s] cool.
RESULT: I am bad cool.
• The color tags. There are hundred of colors available here. Just use one of the colors instead of the stock one. So instead of [co-lor=red] write [co-lor=0000CD], (don't use the -). The colors are used to make the post look far nicer. I made an example making the word 'awesome' appear in Gold.
This guide is [color=gold]awesome![/color]
RESULT: This guide is awesome!
• The size tag. Usually used for a title/sub title of a post. Remember to not use it when you type a sentence because it looks bad and annoying people. I make a sentence where the word 'big' is in the size 5.
This text is really [size=5]big[/size].
RESULT: This text is really big.
• The font tag. It isn't really used, to be honest. Usually the culture topics use these ones, but the modern topics don't. I have used the font tag over the 'rocks' word.
This font [font=impact]rocks[/font].
RESULT: This font rocks.
• The [url] tag. It is used quite a lot. If you want to link someone in a post but want to hide the code, to make the post look better you can use the [url=][/url] tags. I have linked to GTAForums index. Click on the 'GTAForums' word. Instead of the GTAForums word and URL, enter the link and the word you want. I made just an example.
Click on [url=http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php]GTAForums[/url].
• The [img] tag. A very useful tag. Allows you to post pictures. Not the link, you can see the picture in your post. But remember to don't have an over-sized picture, so it can look great. You have to upload the image to some website such like ImageShack or Photobucket or any other site you know. I've uploaded a picture with GTA IV, as most of you like it.
• The spoiler tag. You can use it in the concept threads. Or if you post something where you write info such like the last mission or something to not spoil player's fun. I've used the tags over the word 'cool'. To see the spoiler just put the mouse over it.
GTA is [spoiler]cool[/spoiler].
RESULT: GTA is cool.
• The code tag. You see that I used it a lot in this topic to show you how to post, but another example won't damage, right? I've put the sentence 'Look at you!' in codes... NOTE: Don't use the dot when you close the 'door'. I used it for posting reasons.
[code]Look at you![./code]
• The align tags. If you want to align your text on the right, you can use the following code.
[align=right]Looks great, eh?[/align]
Looks great, eh?
• The center tags. If you want to place your text in the center of the post just use the code below. Don't think why I haven't included the align=left tag because it would have no sense.
[center]This text is in the middle.[/center]
This text is in the middle.
• The Email tag. If you want to put the email link of someone just use the tag below.
These would be all the 'easy' posting tags. Just using these you can make your post look absolutely fantastic, and worth reading. I don't know how good this BBCode guide looks and how useful it is, but it was not easy to make it. So, enjoy!
Hello and welcome to the advanced posting tags section. This is for all the experienced posters out there, but can be used and understood by newbies too. It doesn't contain too many codes as the 'hard' one are very few. So, enjoy!
• The quote tags. If you want to make more quote on your post you can use these tags. They're used usually in the long posts, or where you want to quote someone. If you want to quote only one person, just press quote in the corner right-up of his post. If not, use these.
[quote]Chocolate is sweet.[/quote]
Chocolate is sweet.
Now if you want to put also the member name who said that just use like this:
[quote=user's name]I hate school![/quote]
QUOTE (user's name)
I hate school!
• The Youtube tags! Yes, the lovely YouTube has its own tags here on GTAForums. They're really easy to use, but the harder part would be that you should know what to put between the tags. So, if you want to post a youtube video which can be viewed without opening a new window, you don't have to write the whole link. Only the youtube video code. Let me show you:
Do you see the surrounded code? That's the code you have to paste. So, remember, the code after the '=' (without quotes), has to be pasted.
Now, how to post? Well, look!
And just in case you are curious the song is called "Hello, Good Morning" by "P. Diddy, Dirty Money, Rick Ross & T.I.".
• The table tags! Yes, they're really needed if you want to make your post/topic look good. However, you have to understand the way these tags work. So, we have something like this:
What are the uses of all those codes? table - Makes a new table, without borders. tableb - Makes a new table, with borders. tr - Makes the rows. td - Makes the columns. th - Title/header, makes it automatically bold. Learned these things from this topic!
!!! NOTE !!! Please don't confuse the table tag with the tableb tag. There a huge difference. Also, when you use the (th) tags, you don't need the (tr) & (td) tags. They just use space and don't do anything. One more thing: don't confuse the  & [/] 'doors' with () & (/)! Once you made this mistake, nothing will work anymore! ALWAYS open the (tr) tag before the (td) tag. And when you close, post the (/td) tag first, and than the (/tr) tag, or things will go crazy! The (table) or (tableb) tags are always opened before the (tr) & (td) tags; and always closed after the (/td) & (/tr) tags. Please remember that I used the () & (/) 'doors' only to explain how the things work. If not, this part of the guide would look sh*tty. In real, use the  & [/] tags, okay?
• The list tags. Most used to list things. You have a few choices when you do that. We use the (list) & (/list) tags (type with  & [/] instead of () & (/)). Always close the list after you have finished your listening! Remember, if you want to put something before the listed thing, such as a dot or a number or a letter, place the (*) before the listed thing. And leave some space. (post  & [/] instead of () & (/)). So, we have this:
[list][*] First thing [*] Second thing [*] Third thing[/list]
You can go on as much as you want listing! If you want to have the • before your listed thing, use the codes above. But, you may want... this!
[list=1][*] First thing [*] Second thing [*] Third thing[/list]
Want to list something using numbers? Use the codes above in this case! Do you see the difference? Instead of (list), (post  & [/] instead of () & (/)), as the first example, we type [list=1]! You've still got more choices!
[list=a][*] First thing [*] Second thing [*] Third thing[/list]
This time we use the [list=a]! Even more choices!!!
[list=i][*] First thing [*] Second thing [*] Third thing[/list]
Now we use the [list=i]!
However, you've got more choices, but not as the ones above.
[list][list][*] First Thing [*] Second Thing [*] Third Thing[/list][/list]
Kinda interesting, eh? Well, just open two (list) tags and close two (/list) tags! Gets far better...
[list][list][list][*] First Thing [*] Second Thing [*] Third Thing[/list][/list][/list]
Type three (list) tags when you start and close three (/list) tags! Looks frigging cool! Even more!
[list][list][list][list][*] First Thing [*] Second Thing [*] Third Thing[/list][/list][/list][/list]
As you can notice the listings tweak more and more to the right. The more (list) & (/list) tags you open and close, the more tweak the listings to the right.
• The 'ME' tags. They're quite funny, and usually used just to amuse someone. You can get this...
miromiro is right now sleeping.
...by typing this!
[me]is right now sleeping.[/me]
We use the (me) & (/me) tags. (use  & [/] instead of () & (/)). It gets even funnier!
Clown is reading this sh*t.
[me=Clown]is reading this sh*t.[/me]
(me=someone else). The someone else was, in my case, replace with the 'Clown' name. Kinda funny, I've got to say.
• The 'jumping' tags. The use to be the hardest ones to understand. First you have to find a part of the post. How to do that? Well, so:
Please take me [jumpto=#down]down[/jumpto].
Please take me down. Than, type this at the place you want to be taken to:
This will take you down the page. The reasons why these are hard is because of the way you have to place them. Let's say that you have a long post. You type something, which, by clicking it, should take you at the bottom of the post. The word you want to click on has to be between these codes: (jumpto=#down) & (/jumpto). I used () & (/) instead of  & [/]. Then, go down the page, and find the text you want to be taken to by clicking the text on the top. It has to appear between (anchor=down) & (/anchor).
Why are all these codes needed? Well, first, you have to post the # only at the jump point. Than, the word after the # must be the same as the one from anchor. (anchor=same word as the jump). If you make any mistake in this, it's over.
It's damn hard, I know. But, once you got the hang of how it works, it'll be easy as hell. Now, there are some other ways to jump. Well, if you need to jump to a post only, just to this way...
1. Go to the post you want to jump to. 2. Click on the 'Posted' link at the top of the post, surrounded in the picture above. 3. Copy-paste manually the link, surrounded in the picture above. 4. Press 'OK'. 5. Type that link in your post either using [url] & [/url] tags, or just free.
• Here a good trick. It has nothing to do with the tutorials above, but I wanted to include it. You wonder how people always customize they 'Edited on' line in their post. I'm sure you've seen people having they're edited on line either in a color or hidden under a spoiler.
...and you get this. You can try different colors then RED.
Looking cool, eh? I haven't tried using the other codes too, but if you have enough time and dedication, you can experiment yourself; and, if you want, you can post here the result, and if it works, I'll add you at the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide.
I really hope this part of the guide helped you a little. I don't know if there are new things for you. But, you being a newbie, should learn these things if you want to make your posts look great. Special thanks to flicko for making his Tricks of the trade thread which helped me understand how the 'Edited by' lines can be customized. If you know something more that posted here in this guide, please don't avoid to send me a Personal Message or even better - tell me in this topic. If I find out that you're right, I'll add you in the 'Thanks' post at the bottom of the guide.
PLEASE NOTE! If you wish to link this post with the BB Codes guidelines, which would be this link PLEASE use the following link. Thank you.
Welcome. In this part of the guide I'll help you understand how the GTAForums Forum tools work. I made these because I thought that some newbies could just don't understand how to search for instance, or how to use the Help page. There could be some who don't know how to find a member searching in the member list and many other things. That's why I did this. Enjoy.
Before starting off with the step-by-step explains, here's a very good Video made by radioman himself which explains how to search posts of a member and search for specific topics in a sub-forum. It's CLEARLY worth a look
Well, well, well. The search functions! This option is located here. A lot of people forget to search before they post a new topic. This topic get locked, member is warned, etc etc. Well, although the search functions are down at the moment, I thought that this guide will help you when the search functions will be up! I'd like to thank to Dutchy3010 who gave me the permission from her Search Functions topic which helped me a lot too! Now, enjoy.
Searching for a phrase/word
You may want sometimes to search for a word or something. Well, here's something that might just help you out doing that. First, go at the 'Search Keywords' section and type your word in the first place - Search by Keywords. Type there your word and then you should see the results! If you actually find that word in a lot of places, that I suggest you do specify a little more. To do that, look below where it says 'Search Where'. There you should see all the forums and categories you want to search for that word. Choose the category and press 'Perform the search'. However, if you want to to search in a whole category, just tick the 'Search in child forums if category is chosen?', and you'll search this way in a whole category.
Searching a member
If you want to search for a member on the forums you can use this one - Filter by Member Name (Optional) There you just enter member's name (if you are sure of it). However, if you are very sure of member's name, tick the 'Match Exact Name'. If you have typed the name correctly, you should find that member you're looking for.
But, if you're not sure about member's name, and still tick the Match exact name, and you're wrong, you won't get any results. However, in this case just don't tick that if you are not sure. Enter the name or the part of the name and search. You may get this way more results that contain that couple of letters, and somewhere you should also find the member you're looking for.
Searching by a date
For that, look at the fourth section of the search. To be sure Search Options -> Refine Search. To use these, just fill the other categories. After filling them you get here, because you need a date to search for. Alright, so here we have:
Search posts from... - If you want to search a post from a date. You can choose from a number of days. Then tick the way you want to search - older than that date or newer.
Sort Results by... - The way you want to see the results. Choose between Ascending and Descending order. If you choose ascending you'll get results from A to Z, if you choose descending you'll get results from Z to A. It's the same way as for the Member List with this.
Search Where - Choose here if you want to see the entire post or only the title of it.
Result Type - Choose here if you want the results to be as topics or posts.
You can see this function at the bottom of each sub forum.
You see on each sub forum 40. Well you see a text like 'Showing 40 topics out of XxXxX topics sorted by...'. The 'XxXxX' are the number of posts on the forum, I've written them like this because on every sub forum are different amount of topics.
You see there three options of how to sort the topics. On first we have:
Last Post Date - This means that the first last post on a topic is at the top and the last post at the last topic is at the bottom.
Topic Title - Depends of the first letter of the topic title. If it's A it's at top if Z at bottom.
Topic Starter - Again in alphabetical order depending of user's name.
Number of Replies - From 100.000 replies to 0.
Number of Views - From 100.000.000 views to 0.
Topic Start Date - From 1903 to 2903. Got it, right?
Last Poster - ^ As the first one. ^
Now, all these things can be listed in two ways.
Ascending Order - From A to Z.
Descending Order - From Z to A.
The thing with the first letters uses the theory above, but for the dates is something else. If you choose ascending order, you'll have the topics sorted from the oldest to the newest, if you choose descending the topics will be sorted from the newest to the oldest. I hope you got the idea!
You have still more ways of sorting topics! By time.
Today - Topics from the last 24 hours.
Last 5 days - Topics sorted from five days ago.
Last 10 days
Last 15 days
Last 20 days
Last 25 days
Last 30 days
Last 60 days
Last 90 days
The Beginning - All topics ever posted in that sub forum are sorted if you choose this.
After you have finished filling and choosing, you can search! To do that, press 'Go!'.
If you want to search for a keyword in that sub forum just fill the free space with the word and you should get the results! Either so, or use the general search functions explained above.
Thank you for reading this part of the guide and I really hope that you have learned something related to the search functions. Again, many many thanks to Dutchy3010 for helping me out. Enjoy!!!
This is a list where you can find all GTAForums members ever registered. As you can see, there are now over 350,000 members and thousands of pages of them. There is a cool way to find a member by his/her name. Where can you find the member list? Well, it is in more places. You can either look for it in the 'Forum Tools' in the menu from the left of the page, or you can look at the bottom of the index and look for 'Overall Top Ten Posters'. But, instead of losing time, you could just click here for the normal member list, or you can click here for the Overall Top Ten Posters.
What are the options from the bottom of the list?
Those are some settings for you. You can choose the way you can see the member list. It looks something like this:
You have a lot of different choice to see the member list. Let's see what you have in the first option:
All Members - Shows all members ever registered on GTAForums except Retired Staff & BUSTED!
$outh $ide Hoodz - Official Gang.
Andolini Mafia Family - Official Gang.
Awaiting Authorisation - Second way to ban or members that need account validation.
BUSTED! - Banned members from GTAForums.
Forum Admins - Here are listed all the GTAForums administrators.
Leone Family Mafia - Official Gang
Members - The biggest group. All GTAForums normal members are here, including you.
Moderators - GTAForums' moderators.
Network Admins - This group has the same power as the Forum Admins, although they only take care of the Network, not GTAForums.
City Link - Official Gang.
Rockstar Games - Members from Rockstar Games Company.
The Connection - Official Gang.
The Precinct - Official Gang.
Zaibatsu - Official Gang.
These are all the member groups you can see on the online list. Now, you can list all these members by three options.
Member Name - Members listed with first letters from A to Z.
Join Date - From the oldest GTAForums member to the newest GTAForums member.
Total Posts - From 0 posts to 100.000 posts.
Now, you can see members from each group in two kinds of order:
Ascending Order - From A to Z.
Descending Order - From Z to A.
If you list something with date or number of posts, the same thing will happen. Ascending order - from 0 to 100.000 posts Descending order - from 100.000 to 0
You have one more option related to the number of members you can see on a page.
10 - Default. (shows the first/last ten members)
50 - The biggest number of members you can see on a member list page.
You can make what ever combination you want. So, if you search Administrators -> Join Date -> Descending Order - > 10 you'll see on the top of the page, the administrator Waddy, as he is the administrator that joined last, in Feb 2nd, 2004. I hope this guide can help you some way!
How can I search for a member?
Well, again go on the Member List and, again, at the bottom of the first list page you should see, exactly above the other listing options, this:
Now, you have the three options of searching a member:
Name Contains - Choose this if you know only a part of the name of that member.
Name Begins With - Be sure the beginning of the name begins with the correct part if you want to use this option.
Search All Available - Search for all available members.
Now that you have chosen how to search and fixed the name options, you are free to enter the name of the member you're looking for.
Let's say that I searched like this:
Name Contains -> Free - I got 49 pages with names that contain the word 'free'.
Name Begins With - > Free - Well surprise! This time I found only 28 pages with members of which names begin with 'free'.
Search All Available - This time I got again 49 pages. This is because the name contains with has the same functions as this one - finds a member containing a word.
This would be everything related to the Member list. I really hope you enjoyed reading it and experimenting it. If you still got questions related to this, please post in this topic, do NOT PM me. Otherwise, if you found out something that I didn't include in this part, please post in this topic or send me a Personal Message. Enjoy!
Here I will explain you how the Forum Help can, actually, help you. The Forum Help is located right here. There are already explained functions by me at the Public Profile section and at the My Controls section. However, people had to understand all those things before I made this guide, so that's the reason. I, honestly, just copy-pasted the whole content of the Forum Help. Have a look.
Contacting the moderating team If you need to contact a moderator or simply wish to view the complete administration team, you can click the link 'The moderating team' found at the bottom of the main board page (the first page you see when visiting the board), or from 'My Assistant'. This list will show you administrators (those who have administration control panel access), global moderators (those who can moderate in all forums) and the moderators of the individual forums. If you wish to contact someone about your member account, then contact an administrator - if you wish to contact someone about a post or topic, contact either a global moderator or the forum moderator.
Reporting a post You'll see a 'Report' button in a post. This function will let you report the post to the forum moderator (or the administrators, if there isn't a specific moderator available). You can use this function when you think the moderators should be aware of the existance of that post. However, do not use this to chat with the moderator(s)!. You can use the email function or the Personal Messenger function for that.
Using cookies is optional, but strongly recommended. Cookies are used to track topics, showing you which topics have new replies since your last visit and to automatically log you in when you return. If your computer is unable to use the cookie system to browse the board correctly, then the board will automatically add in a session ID to each link to track you around the board.
Clearing cookies You can clear the cookies at any time by clicking on the link found at the bottom of the main board page (the first page you see when returning to the board). If this does not work for you, you may need to remove the cookies manually.
Removing Cookies in Internet Explorer for Windows
Close all open Internet Explorer Windows
Click on the 'start' button
Move up to 'Find' and click on 'Files and Folders'
When the new window appears, type in the domain name of the board you are using into the 'containing text' field. (If the boards address was 'http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/index.php' you would enter 'invisionboard.com' without the quotes)
In the 'look in' box, type in C:WindowsCookies and press 'Find Now'
After it has finished searching, highlight all files (click on a file then press CTRL+A) and delete them.
Removing Cookies in Internet Explorer for Macintosh
With Internet Explorer active, choose 'Edit' and then 'Preferences' from the Macintosh menu bar at the top of the screen
When the preferences panel opens, choose 'Cookies' found in the 'Receiving Files' section.
When the cookie pane loads, look for the domain name of the board (If the boards address was 'http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/index.php' look for 'invisionboard.com' or 'www.invisionboard.com'.
For each cookie, click on the entry and press the delete button.
Your cookies should now be removed. In some cases you may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
• This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Many users find this useful to keep up to date on topics without the need to view the board to check for new messages. There are three ways to subscribe to a topic:
Click the 'Track This Topic' link at the top of the topic that you wish to track
On the posting screen when replying to or creating a topic, check the 'Enable email notification of replies?' checkbox
From the E-Mail settings section of your User CP (My Controls) check the 'Enable Email Notification by default?' option, this will automatically subscribe you to any topic that you make a reply to.
Please note that to avoid multiple emails being sent to your email address, you will only get one e-mail for each topic you are subscribed to until the next time you visit the board. You are also able to subscribe to each individual forum on the board, to be notified when a new topic is created in that particular forum. To enable this, click the 'Subscribe to this forum' link at the bottom of the forum that you wish to subscribe to. To unsubscribe from any forums or topics that you are subscribed to - just go to the 'Subscriptions' section of 'My Controls' and you can do this from there.
•Logging in and out How to log in and out from the board and how to remain anonymous and not be shown on the active users list.
• If you have chosen not to remember your log in details in cookies, or you are accessing the board on another computer, you will need to log into the board to access your member profile and post with your registered name. When you log in, you have the choice to save cookies that will log you in automatically when you return. Do not use this option on a shared computer for security. You can also choose to hide - this will keep your name from appearing in the active users list. Logging out is simply a matter of clicking on the 'Log Out' link that is displayed when you are logged in. If you find that you are not logged out, you may need to manually remove your cookies. See the 'Cookies' help file for more information.
• Medals are given to those who are consistently helpful and/or make a positive contribution to the community - they appear beside the recipient's posts, and can be hovered over to reveal additional information on the award. Medals are awarded by moderators and administrators only. Warnings may be issued if you violate the forum rules. There are 3 different types of warning:
Reminders - These are issued for light violations, and are an informal reminder to the member that a harsher punishment may follow if the behaviour persists.
Verbal Warnings - These are issued as a formal warning for a first-time or minor offence.
Temporary Bannings - This disables your posting ability for however long the moderator sets it. Avoiding this ban using a second account will often result in the ban becoming permanent.
Permanent Bannings - If you consistently break the rules and ignore previous warnings, a permanent ban will be applied to your account.
Your Member Log is a log of all your warnings and commendations. Only you and the staff can see this.
•Member List Explaining the different ways to sort and search through the list of members.
• The member list, accessed via the 'Members' link at the top of each page, is basically a listing of all of the members that have registered on the board. If you are looking to search for a particular member by all/part of their username, then in the drop down box at the bottom of the page, change the selection from 'Search All Available' to 'Name Begins With' or 'Name Contains' and input all/part of their name in the text input field and press the 'Go!' button. Also, at the bottom of the member list page, there are a number of sorting options available to alter the way in which the list is displayed. If a member has chosen to add a photo to their profile information, then a camera icon will appear next to their name, and you may click this to view the photo.
•My Assistant A comprehensive guide to use this handy little feature.
•This feature is sometimes referred to as a 'Browser Buddy'. At the top it tells you how many posts have been made since you last visited the board.. Also underneath this the number of posts with replies that have been made in topics that the individual has also posted in. Click on the 'View' link on either of the two sentences to see the posts. The next section is five links to useful features:
The link to the moderating team is basically a quick link to see all those that either administrate or moderate certain forums on the message board.
The link to 'Today's Active Topics' shows you all the topics that have been created in the last 24 hours on the board.
Today's Top 10 Posters link shows you exactly as the name suggests. It shows you the amount of posts by the members and also their total percentage of the total posts made that day.
The overall Top 10 Posters link shows you the top 10 posters for the whole time that the board has been installed.
My last 10 posts links to the latest topics that you have made on the board. These are shortened on the page, to save space, and are linked to if you require to read more of them.
The two search features allow you to search the whole board for certain words in a whole topic. It isn't as featured as the normal search option so it is not as comprehensive. The Help Search is just as comprehensive as the normal help section's search function and allows for quick searching of all the help topics on the board.
•Posting A guide to the features avaliable when posting on the boards.
• There are three different posting screens available. The new topic button, visible in forums and in topics allows you to add a new topic to that particular forum. The new poll button (is the admin has enabled it) will also be viewable in topics and forums allowing you to create a new poll in the forum. When viewing a topic, there will be an add reply button, allowing you to add a new reply onto that particular topic.
• Posting new topics and replying When making a post, you will most likely have the option to use IBF code when posting. This will allow you to add various types of formatting to your messages. For more information on this, click the 'BB Code Help' link under the emoticon box to launch the help window. On the left of the text entry box, there is the clickable emoticons box - you can click on these to add them to the content of your message (these are sometimes known as 'smilies').
There are three options available when making a post or a reply. 'Enable emoticons?' if this is unchecked, then any text that would normally be converted into an emoticon will not be. 'Enable signature?' allows you to choose whether or not you would like your signature to appear on that individual post. 'Enable email notification of replies?' ticking this box will mean that you will receive e-mail updates to the topic, see the 'Email Notification of new messages' help topic for more information on this. You also have the option to choose a post icon for the topic/post when creating one. This icon will appear next to the topic name on the topic listing in that forum, or will appear next to the date/time of the message if making a reply to a topic. If the admin has enabled it, you will also see a file attachments option, this will allow you to attach a file to be uploaded when making a post. Click the browse button to select a file from your computer to be uploaded. If you upload an image file, it may be shown in the content of the post, all other file types will be linked to.
• Poll Options If you have chosen to post a new poll, there will be an extra two option boxes at the top of the help screen. The first input box will allow you to enter the question that you are asking in the poll. The text field underneath is where you will input the choices for the poll. Simply enter a different option on each line. The maximum number of choices is set by the board admin, and this figure is displayed on the left.
• Quoting Posts Displayed above each post in a topic, there is a 'Quote' button. Pressing this button will allow you to reply to a topic, and have the text from a particular reply quoted in your own reply. When you choose to do this, an extra text field will appear below the main text input box to allow you to edit the content of the post being quoted.
• Editing Posts Above any posts that you have made, you may see an 'Edit' button. Pressing this will allow you to edit the post that you had previously made. When editing you may see an option to 'Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?'. If you tick this then it will show up in the posts that it has been edited and the time at which it was edited. If this option does not appear, then the edit by line will always be added to the post. If you are unable to see the edit button displayed on each post that you have made, then the administrator may have prevented you from editing posts, or the time limit for editing may have expired.
• Fast Reply Where it has been enabled, there will be a fast reply button on each topic. Clicking this will open up a posting box on the topic view screen, cutting down on the time required to load the main posting screen. Click the fast reply button to expand the reply box and type the post inside of there. Although the fast reply box is not expanded by default, you can choose the option to have it expanded by default, from the board settings section of your control panel. Pressing the 'More Options' button will take you to the normal posting screen.
• Security is a big feature on this board, and to that end, all passwords are encrypted when you register. This means that we cannot email your password to you as we hold no record of your 'uncrypted' password. You can however, apply to have your password reset. To do this, click on the Lost Password link found on the log in page. Further instruction is available from there.
• To be able to use all the features on this board, the administrator will require that you register for a member account. Registration is free and only takes a moment to complete. During registration, the administrator requires that you supply a valid email address. This is important as the administrator may require that you validate your registration via an email. If this is the case, you will be notified when registering. If your e-mail does not arrive, then on the member bar at the top of the page, there will be a link that will allow you to re-send the validation e-mail. The administrator will need to approve your registration before you can use your member account fully. If this is the case you will be notified during registration. Once you have registered and logged in, you will have access to your personal messenger and your control panel. You are given posting rights to all public forums, and can store upto 250 private messages. If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact a member of staff.
• The search feature is designed to allow you to quickly find topics and posts that contain the keywords you enter. There are two types of search form available, simple search and advanced search. You may switch between the two using the 'More Options' and 'Simple Mode' buttons.
• Simple Mode All you need to do here is enter in a keyword into the search box, and select a forum(s) to search in. (to select multiple forums, hold down the control key on a PC, or the Shift/Apple key on a Mac) choose a sorting order and search.
• Advanced Mode The advanced search screen, will give you a much greater range of options to choose from to refine your search. In addition to searching by keyword, you are able to search by a members username or a combination of both. You can also choose to refine your search by selecting a date range, and there are a number of sorting options available. There are also two ways of displaying the search results, can either show the post text in full or just show a link to the topic, can choose this using the radio buttons available. If the administrator has enabled it, you may have a minimum amount of time to wait between searches, this is known as search flood control. There are also search boxes available at the bottom of each forum, to allow you to carry out a quick search of all of the topics within that particular forum.
•Topic Options A guide to the options avaliable when viewing a topic.
• At the bottom of each topic, there is a 'Topic Options' button. Pressing this button will expand the topic options box. From this box, you can select from the following options:
Track this topic - this option will allow you to receive e-mail updates for the topic, see the 'Email Notification of new messages' help file for more information on this
Subscribe to this forum - will allow you to receive e-mail updates for any new topics posted in the forum, see the Notification of new messages' help file for more information on this
Download / Print this Topic - will show the topic in a number of different formats. 'Printer Friendly Version' will display a version of the topic that is suitable for printing out. 'Download HTML Version' will download a copy of the topic to your hard drive, and this can then be viewed in a web browser, without having to visit the board. 'Download Microsoft Word Version' will allow you to download the file to your hard drive and open it up in the popular word processing application, Microsoft Word, for viewing offline.
• You can view which new topics have new replies today by clicking on the 'Today's Active Topics' link found at the bottom of the main board page (the first page you see when visiting the board). You can set your own date criteria, choosing to view all topics with new replies during several date choices. The 'View New Posts' link in the member bar at the top of each page, will allow you to view all of the topics which have new replies in since your last visit to the board.
• You can view a members profile at any time by clicking on their name when it is underlined (as a link) or by clicking on their name in a post within a topic. This will show you their profile page which contains their contact information (if they have entered some) and their 'active stats'. You can also click on the 'Mini Profile' button underneath their posts, this will show up a mini 'e-card' with their contact information and a photograph if they have chosen to have one.
Your control panel is your own private board console. You can change how the board looks and feels as well as your own information from here.
• Custom Member Titles This is the line of text that appears under your avatar. Your member title is based on the number of posts that you have. Instead of having the board choose your member title, you can select your own personalised member title. To do this, go into your Control Panel and click the 'Edit Profile' link. You must have at least 1 before editing your member title.
• Subscriptions This is where you manage your topic and forums subscriptions. Please see the help file 'Email Notification of new messages' for more information on how to subscribe to topics.
• Edit Profile Info This section allows you to add or edit your contact information and enter some personal information if you choose.
• Edit Signature A board 'signature' is very similar to an email signature. This signature is attached to the foot of every message you post unless you choose to check the box that allows you to ommit the signature in the message you are posting. You may use BB Code. Be sure to read the signature size rules. Your signature may be disabled if it is too big. If this happens, please repair your signature and ensure that it is within the limits. Once you have done this, post in this thread, and a moderator will enable your signature.
• Edit Avatar Settings An avatar is a little image that appears under your username when you view a topic or post you authored. If the administrator allows, you may either choose from the board gallery, enter a URL to an avatar stored on your server or upload an avatar to use. You may also set the width of the avatar to ensure that it's sized in proportion.
• Change Personal Photo This section will allow you to add a photograph to your profile. This will be displayed when a user clicks to view your profile, on the mini-profile screen and will also be linked to from the member list.
• Email Settings Hide my email address allows you to deny the ability for other users to send you an email from the board. Send me updates sent by the board administrator will allow the administrator to include your email address in any mailings they send out - this is used mostly for important updates and community information. Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a subscribed topic, this allows you to have the new post included in any reply to topic notifications. Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message, this will send you an e-mail notification to your registered e-mail address each time you receive a private message on the board. Enable 'Email Notification' by default?, this will automatically subscribe you to any topic that you make a reply to. You may unsubscribe from the 'Subscriptions' section of My Controls if you wish.
• Board Settings From this section, you can set your time zone, choose to not see users signatures, avatars and posted images. You can choose to get a pop up window informing you when you have a new message and choose to show or hide the 'Fast Reply' box where it is enabled. You are also able to choose display preferences for the number of topics/posts shown per page on the board.
• Skins and Languages If available, you can choose a skin style and language choice. This affects how the board is displayed so you may wish to preview the skin before submitting the form.
• Change Email Address At any time, you can change the email address that is registered to your account. In some cases, you will need to revalidate your account after changing your email address. If this is the case, you will be notified before your email address change is processed.
• Change Password You may change your password from this section. Please note that you will need to know your current password before you can change your password.
•Your Personal Messenger How to send personal messages, track them, edit your messenger folders and archive stored messages.
• Your personal messenger acts much like an email account in that you can send and receive messages and store messages in folders.
• Send a new PM This will allow you to send a message to another member. If you have names in your contact list, you can choose a name from it - or you may choose to enter a name in the relevant form field. This will be automatically filled in if you clicked a 'PM' button on the board (from the member list or a post). If allowed, you may also be able to enter in multiple names in the box provided, will need to add one username per line. If the administrator allows, you may use BB Code and HTML in your private message. If you choose to check the 'Add a copy of this message to you sent items folder' box, a copy of the message will be saved for you for later reference. If you tick the 'Track this message?' box, then the details of the message will be available in your 'Message Tracker' where you will be able to see if/when it has been read.
• Go to Inbox Your inbox is where all new messages are sent to. Clicking on the message title will show you the message in a similar format to the board topic view. You can also delete or move messages from your inbox.
• Empty PM Folders This option provides you with a quick and easy way to clear out all of your PM folders.
• Edit Storage Folders You may rename, add or remove folders to store messages is, allowing you to organise your messages to your preference. You cannot remove 'Sent Items' or 'Inbox'.
• PM Buddies/Block List You may add in users names in this section, or edit any saved entries. You can also use this as a ban list, denying the named member the ability to message you. Names entered in this section will appear in the drop down list when sending a new PM, allowing you to quickly choose the members name when sending a message.
• Saved (Unsent) PMs This area will allow you to go back to any PM's that you have chosen to save to be sent later.
• Message Tracker This is the page that any messages that you have chosen to track will appear. Details of if and when they have been read by the recipient will appear here. This also gives you the chance to delete any messages that you have sent and not yet been read by the intended recipient.
This would be everything. Again, sorry for copy-pasting everything, but I thought that I don't need to re-write the whole content and to explain what it means, as you can read and understand it by yourself. I know it looks/seems easy to have written but believe, it wasn't! I had to link everything, fix the sizes, the lists, and the tables work. I really hope you enjoy the work I put into this part!
Welcome to 'MY Assistant'. As you may know or maybe not, you've got your own assistant hhere on GTAForums! It tells you everything related to the new posts, topics, your new posts/topics. However, because the search function is currently down, some of those features are useless right know, not all. Even so, I made a little guide to help you understand who each of those functions do, as this guide will help you even when the search function will be up again.
Where can you find this option? Well, it's not really hard. Look at the top of the board index. There you should see your name and your option in case you want to log out. Than, there is your personal messenger option, and next to it is the 'View new posts options'. Well, the one after that. It's called 'My Assistant', I think you should know that it's that one.
Click on it, and you'll see that it opens a new small window. Don't worry, that should actually happen! Now, let me explain you what each of those options do and what are they useful for.
The moderating team
It is self-explained, don't you think? It will re-direct you here. The reason why it shows you alse here the moderating team is because it is called 'My Assistant'.
In the real life, an assistant tells you everything you need to know at any time. That's why it also appears here too. I'm not really sure of this thing, so I might be wrong. However, this is the first and the last things that appears in my mind about it.
Today's active topics
Here's a list of all the active topics from the last 24 hours. If there are no more posts in a topic, and 24 hours have passed from the last post, that topic will disappear from the active topics list.
The topic are listed on that page from the last post date. This means that the reply that was posted one minute ago, will be above the reply posted two minutes ago. And so on. These topics appear as either hot topics, either normal topics. If there are less than 50 posts in that topic and you didn't watch topic's last reply, it will appear as a blue envelope. If there are more than 50 posts in that topic and you didn't watch topic's last reply, it will appear as a red envelope. If you have seen the last reply of a topic than that topic will appear as a white-blue envelope if it has less than 50 posts, or white-red envelope if it has more than 50 posts.
I hope you got the idea. All these things work if the search function works, which right now doesn't!
Today's top ten posters
Here is a list of today's top ten spammers posters. On the first line you see member's name, on the second line you see user's join date, on the third line you can see the number of posts he/she has done since he/she joined. After that, on the fourth line you can see the amount of spam posts that member has done today. And, after all these, on the fifth line, you can seethe percent (%) of posts the member has posted in that day out of 100% (total posts in the last 24 hours). It's kinda interesting right?
I don't know if you have noticed, but more people who have posted the same amount of posts in that day, and are the last on the list, switch between themselves randomly.
This means that if someone has 13 posts today and is the last on the list, and if there is another member who has the same amount of posts that day, you can just re-load the page, and they might switch. Well, sometimes you need to reload more times (6-7) until it changes.
Overall top ten posters
This is again self-explained. Please note that the BUSTED! (banned) members do NOT appear by themselves on that list. If you are curios to see them, you can go and change. I told you above at the Member List how to do that.
Oh, and the same things goes for the Retired Staff members, but this time you can't find a list of them. Sorry. Overall, this part could be explained as the Moderating Team.
My last 10 posts
This page shows you the last ten posts you have posted on these forums. You may notice that your profile (the one that everyone can see when you posts without clicking your name), is different. You can see now your amount of posts made on these forums. You can see that you're flag is gone, member log and even you're medal (if you've got one).
However, here appears your post count, avatar, join date and member group. One more thing related to your last 10 posts. If you used smiles or BB Codes, you can see now the way your post appears when you're posting it, with all the codes visible. This means that you have the code of a picture instead of a picture. I hope you understand what I mean.
This would be everything related to the 'My Assistant' option. I hope you understood what each of those things mean. If not, you're free to ask IN THIS TOPIC. This means NO PM, E-mails. You can send me a Personal Message only if you have found a mistake in the information I gave you above. Or even better - tell me in this topic. If I find out that you're right... you know what happens - I'll add you in the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide. Enjoy.
This post has been edited by miromiro on Monday, Apr 1 2013, 12:53
Like every site, forum or anything else, this forums has as well its own staff members. Without them, this place would be a chaos! They have the power to ban or even to delete accounts, topics, posts, etc. You should fully respect these people. You can get easily get banned or warned if you tick them off. So, do it at your own risk! I've made a little guide to tell you more about the staff members, and even about the retired staff. Have a look.
The biggest rank someone can own in anything, in out situation, GTAForums. The Administrators are the users who have the power to ban you, delete you, delete your topics, posts, warn you, suspend you, and so many other things. You mustn't insult any administrator, or they'll ban you like hell! Let me tell you more about their account information. They appear on the online list as this strange yellow. We have at this moment an amount of eleven. I've made a little list of the admins, how they appear on the board statistics and how they appear in the topics/sub forums.
The administrators have the icon between their avatar or member title and their group. So, remember, that if you see that icon, than that user is one of the admins!
If you look carefully, the admins, all (almost), registered in either 2002 or 2001. So, if you want to become an administrator over this awesome forum, you'll need to contribute to it eight years! Now, here's the list. In the left you can see how appear their names on the Board Statistics when they're online; in the middle you can see how their names look like when they watch a topic/sub forum and in the right you can click on the '^' to go to admin's profile. Enjoy.
Just a note - the admins with the dark purple are Network Admins, while the one in the classic yellow are the Forum Admins. Why have I made this list? Well, because I thought you were curios to see these 'yellow' people. Want to see the Moderating Team? Here you go!
This is the second-powered group of users around this forum. These people are more respect around, more helpful, etc. It happens very rare to get any member log entry by an admin. Usually Moderators give commendations, ban, lock topics, delete posts, send PMs, answer PMs, etc. You can see much more often Moderators around the forums than Admins. Now, like the Administrators, the Moderators group have their own member colors. If you take a look, you can see them appearing in a strange blue. Unlike the admins, the mods are a few more than the admins. So, we have eleven admins, and fourteen moderators.
Again, like the admins, the moderators have the icon, visible in their posts.
Here, again, to become a moderator, you have to contribute to the forum quite a lot. Not as much as an admin, but still a lot. You may notice that you need at least three years around the forum to be well known, and to get the moderator rank. Again, I've made a little list of the moderators, how they appear on the Board Stats, forum/topics, and the link to their profile.
I'd say that the moderators are looking far cooler to the people than administrators. (no offence to admins!). They are using their power to help out the forum members. You can see that the moderators are not so much on the anonymous status, because they can find time to talk to people. Keep it up. Want to see the Moderating Team? Look Here.
Please do not even think that the staff members that are now were in the past as well. This forum had over 30 staff members along all these years. You can find all those members in the 'Retired Staff' member group. Sure, there are a bunch of staff people who are in the same position like they could have been in 2005.
Because the Retired Staff member group isn't viewable on any list, I've made a little list about the member who were the staff members ages ago. I'm not sure if I found everyone, so please forgive me if I forgot anyone. Like on the lists above, I've made with yellow the Retired Administrators and with blue the Retired Moderators. Enjoy.
* This moderator didn't retire for real, but has unfortunately passed away on Thursday October 6th, 2011 due to a disease called. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We've been announced about the sad news on Saturday October 8th, 2011 in this topic. Rest in peace, Chris Carrick.
As you may notice, not everybody who was one of the staff members, was also added in the Retired Staff group. There are also a very few banned staff members. Now you wonder why all these great people lost their moderation and/or administration power. Well, due of a lot of different reasons. Either inactivity, rule violation, mistakes, etc. As I told you above the two lists, the Retired Staff member group doesn't appear on the Member List. The retired staff group does not appear on the member list because the admins wanted to reduce the chances of hackers targeting inactive staff accounts. As I don't know every member who was a part of the staff in the past, and you, who could have been here for longer time than me, may know, please drop me a PM and tell me what I did wrong, and who I missed. You'll be added in the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide. Enjoy.
Lately, these people have got more and more attention from the big staff, so I thought about making a little guide about them as well. They're simple members who only have more power than a normal member over a part of the main forums. Every single power they have is being decided by admins if needed or not, that's why they usually tick yes or not for a power. Lately, these moderators have received they're own pips that say . Well, it's pretty obvious. But there's something interesting about it. That pip is only visible in the posts the led-by makes IN the forum that he's moderating. I'm not going to make a list of every led-by since the list is pretty long, but otherwise I'll link you to The Moderating Team --> Forum Moderators (the third paragraph).
This section of the guide will teach you a little about the GTA Network. Useful links, history and many more! Please note that all the information is also available on the GTANet site, so you're able to see it there as well. However, I've written here everything you might find there, and also added a few more information from personal experience. So, have a look!
You should have in mind a few things related to the GTA Network. All information below has been pasted from the GTANet site. Split in a few smaller section, this part contains: 'What is the GTA Network?', 'GTAForums.com', 'Further Network Endeavours'. Every link clickable on the GTANet site is also clickable here. Enjoy.
What is the GTA Network? "The Grand Theft Auto Network (GTA Network, or GTANet) is a network of Grand Theft Auto-related fansites and communities dedicated to the blockbuster series from Rockstar Games and Take 2 Entertainment. Our forums are home to the largest GTA community in the world, bringing together gamers from around the globe. For over half a decade, we've been delivering up-to-date, legitimate and concise news and information to gamers through our network of websites. Over the years, we've built a reputation for being one of the most respected and notable networks dedicated to the Grand Theft Auto series." - GTANet
GTAForums.com "The original community message board at forums.grandtheftauto3.net had proved to be a great success when it was first launched, and eventually it embraced its own domain at GTA3Forums.com. As the GTA series stepped beyond GTA III and moved towards Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, GTA3Forums followed suit by dropping the specific reference to GTA III, becoming GTAForums in the process.
Now boasting an impressive count of over 150 000 users and nearly 3 000 000 posts, GTAForums is currently the largest and most influential Grand Theft Auto community on the internet." - GTANet
Further Network Endeavours "Websites not directly tied to any particular Grand Theft Auto title have also been developed, catering mostly to the thriving PC modification ("modding") community. These websites are mostly community-based in nature, consisting of both a modding reference wiki (GTAModding.com) and a database for Grand Theft Auto modifications (GTAGarage.com).
There would be everything related to the GTA Network and GTAForums.com. I'm really sorry for not making this manually, but I thought that I couldn't find a better explanation for everything related to all these subjects, than the GTANet admins! Enjoy.
I'm pretty sure you are curious as hell to know about the GTA Network more, so I am killing now your curiosity. I've split this part of the guide in two main sections: A Brief History of GTANet & GTAForums.com - History. Have a look maybe?
A Brief History of GTANet "Virtually every online community can trace their roots to a modest beginning as a small fan-run website. The GTA Network is no different. We began as a small GTA III website, GrandTheftAuto3.net. As time passed, the popularity of the website began to grow, eventually becoming GTA3.com. GTA3.com then expanded into GTA3Mods, GTA3Files and GTA3Forums. Activity peaked as the launch of GTA III for the PC approached, at which time GTA3.com was receiving a record 20 million visitors per month.
Forgive me for doing this copy-paste thing again, but as I said above, the GTANet admins know best their own website, right?
GTAForums.com - History GTAForums.com - one of the biggest forum in the whole internet. Containing over 350,000 members and even over 5,500,000 posts this can be also claimed as the best of them all! This forum was created back in 2001, 8 November to be exactly. The forum has had several staff members who have either retired or just kick out of the moderating team. If you want a better documentation related to GTAForums' staff, you can look in this guide, right here.
Even if the forum had over 30 administrators, there is the big owner... Tank. He has created GTAForums along with Stilton, who has joined the community a month later.
Because of the great success GTAForums has, it became the biggest fan site forum. I hope you imagine what a honor was that for the administrators! It also became so populated because of the tricky name. Everyone will need sometime help with one of the GTAs, and what will he type? Well, 'GTA Forum'. I typed 'GTA Forum' on Google and guess which was the first result. Well, check out. Yes, the first one is GTAForums!
In the very past, this forum was had another name which was 'GTA3Forums.com'. Admins changed it immediately in 2002-2003 when GTA Vice City was released, and so was the 'GTAForums.com' name created! The luck was that no one thought of making a forum for GTA in those times, so out early admins were smart like hell!
You may want to go back in those days. You feel curious to see how the forum looked in 2003, how the forums looked... etc. Well, you can! Click here and enjoy your time machine. You can also go to here to see an archive of GTAForums.com back in 2004! Yeah, I know it loads hard, but it merits the effort!
The big 50 - A huge milestone! On 4 November 2004, this forum had its 50,000 member milestone! You can find the topic which announces that right here; one of the other thousands of reasons this forum is AWESOME.
The last but not the least reason this forum is what it is, are the staff members and the normal members. I mean, have you ever looked in each section and sub forum of this forum? Just take a look at the pinned topics. All the help and dedication make GTAForums shine even more like the sun does.
A lot of people join the GTA Network because of the GTA modding. So, most of them do mods... but where they can share them? Well, GTAGarage! Registering on GTAGarage requires to be registered on GTAForums. People mod, submit their mods... and get bored. After that, they browse around a little more on GTAGarage and find somewhere a link to GTAForums. And here starts everything!
This part of the guide was made by me. Sorry if I didn't write everything about the History, but the more you know related to the present, the better member you are.
I've made a small list of all the GTA Network sites, hosted, surely, by Rockstar Games and by the GTA Network admins. There's also a small explanation after each link, although I don't think you need it at all.
• General Grand Theft Auto Sites
GTA 5 - The newest official GTA site! You can read here some information related to the next GTA!
GTA CTW - The Official GTA Chinatown Wars site - game released back in 2009.
GTA IV - The official site of the biggest GTA released in 2008 - GTA IV!
GTA LCS - Official site of Liberty City Stories released in 2005.
GTA San Andreas - Everything related to San Andreas from missions to vehicles found here! Game released in late 2004.
GTA Vice City - Official Site for both Vice City & Vice City Stories!
GTA Network - All the information related to GTANet! Chatting, history and much more.
GTA Forums - The Official Grand Theft Auto Forum - the place you're reading this from.
GTA Garage - The Official modding sites - all your mods can be shared here!
GTA Modding - The Wiki page of the GTA Modding - all information is right here!
This would be everything. Although there are less web pages, they contain a lot of stuff in them. Please, if you found something I didn't add, or maybe I've done any mistake, please don't avoid to send me a Personal Message or even better - tell me in this topic. If I find out that you're right, I'll add the information you give me and I'll add you on the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide! Enjoy.
Here is the section of the guide where I created a little F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions) containing 30 answers and questions. I've marked with 'Q' the questions, and with 'A' the answer. The reason why I did this part of the guide, is because I've seen a lot of randomly questions over and over again, so I thought that including all of them in one post would help. Have a look!
Q. Why can't I see my post count? A. People always spammed up the forums just to improve their post count and to 'get' some respect because of the amount of posts. To avoid this, the admins have hidden the post count visible in posts and topics. However, you can still see it in member's profiles.
Q. Am I allowed to ask for game files? A.NO! GTA Network is NOT a file sharing community.
Q. My signature is disabled. Why? A. Seems like your signature is over 150x500 pixels. Re-size it, and ask for enable request in this topic.
Q. I want a nice picture for my signature/avatar. Where can I request one? A. You can ask in the GFX Requests & Tutorials sub forum.
Q. I cannot open new topics in the Announcements sub forum. Why? A. Only staff members can open new topics there. They announce the community about something new related to the GTA Network.
Q. In the Announcements sub forum are visible only a few topics. But on the Index says that there are over 150. What happens? A. Well, if you look at the bottom of the page you can see visible topics from the last 90 days. If you change there to 'the beginning', you can see all the topics. There use to be all the topics, since 2002. So, to not make the network hard to load, they hidden all those old topics.
Q. I sent a PM/Email to an admin/mod but he/she never answered back. Why? A. That admin/mod is most probably too busy with other work to help you. You can still ask your question in the forums, anyway. However, not all mods/admins are like that.
Q. Who are those yellow and blue users I see on the list? A. They are the staff members! The yellow users are the administrators and the blue users are the moderators.
Q. What's the worst word that was written on this forum? A. The word 'faggot'. A lot of people got Verbal Warnings for using this word to flame someone. So, don't even risk!
Q. Who are the 'BUSTED!' members and how can I join them? A. I don't think you want to join that group, as it's the banned member group. They got busted by the cops who are the staff members.
Q. Why do I see always the same staff members browsing around? A. Because the rest of them use the 'Anonymous' function. I, personally, caught once 10 anonymous members at once:
Q. Why are the staff members always anonymous? A. Because if the 'noobs' see them online, they spam up their Inbox with PMs. And that's quite annoying if you ask me.
Q. I see a lot of people posting the whole post in one color. Why? A. "Cause they feel like it. When we removed post wrappers, some kept it up. It's sodding annoying if you use a non-standard skin. Someone made a Firefox plugin to automatically add it if I recall correctly." - Mark (source)
Q. Anyone knows the limit of the Respect List in out profiles? How many people can we add? A. Yes, the limit is apparently 80,000 characters, though I doubt anybody needs more.
Q. What happened with the Hot Coffee fiasco? A. You're not allowed to talk about it on GTAForums!
Q. I see a lot of people having strange member group names. What are those? A. Those are official gangs. You can join one, but you have to contribute to the forums quite a lot and to be well known around.
Q. Who are Skynet, Yahoo! and Archive.org? I can't see their profiles. A. Haha, they're bots. You can't access their profiles because 'they' don't have one. They are for search engine indexing and they crawl the site at regular intervals.
Q. I have a question which doesn't merit its own topic. What should I do? A. A guy called pcguytech has made a topic called Have A Question? where you can ask any tiny question you have. That topic got locked but the new one is located here.
Q. When was this forum created and why? A. It was created back in 8 Nov 2001. It was dedicated to GTA III released in November 2001.
Q. Where can I see the whole list of both moderators and administrators of this forum? A. Check out The moderating team.
Q. Where are the the topics from 2005 and earlier? A. Added to archive. You can go to the archive right here. Enjoy your time machine.
Q. Some fool is spamming my Inbox with a lot of sh*tty things. What should I do? A. Report him in the PM Spammer List and that dude will get banned.
Q. I know I'm not allowed at all to swear but sometimes I can't control myself. What should I do? A. You should try to not get angry. This is just an internet forum. However, the admins thought of this before you and have made a Swear Filter. So if you say sh*t or other 'famous' swear words, the swear filter will replace a letter of the swear word with a *.
Q. I've made an brilliant mod and I don't know where to upload it. Help? A. Take a look at GTAGarage and upload your mod there. You can read more about it, here.
Q. Are there any official Rockstar Member registered here? A. Luckily, yes. There is Rockstar Toronto. When he's online he is with the orange color, looking like this: Rockstar Toronto. In his posts he has the R* icon above his member group.
Q. I see a lot of members having a medal in their profiles. Someone explain??? A. Yes, they worked hard and got a medal. You can read more about it here.
Q. I want to join a gang. How do I do that? A. Well, you can ask in the 'Looking For A Gang?' topic and some gang leader may like you and send you a PM if you want to join that gang.
Q. How do I know how to make my signature? A. Well, just respect the Signature Size Rules. It has a topic located here.
Q. Which are the hottest months of the year? A. Well, the ones that don't contain any 'r' in their names. These would be: May, June, July, August.
Q. How long did it took you, miromiro, to make this guide? A. Well, I started it on 4 Nov 2010, and finished it on 30 Dec 2010. Sure, it took such a long time and was a damn hard job, but I have finally done it!
In this part of the guide I'll post some very very helpful links to different kind of topics created on this forum. This part is split in three sections. First you have some funny topics and cool games, the next containing other guide topics like this one, and the last one, but not the less important, the rules topics. Have fun browsing around all those awesome topics, games and even rules!
There are a lot of nice and funny games around these forums! You need just to search them. Unfortunately, is boring as hell, to look for some good games which suit you, and read the rules, etc... But, you're lucky! I've done the boring search and found all the good topics. Let me show you the list!
• GTA IV
Guess the Vehicle - You're supposed to guess a vehicle from San Andreas from the given hints or pictures.
GTA IV Quiz Competition - You're asking away a question related to GTA IV and the one that answers it correctly receives 1 point!
Who am I? - A player tells some things about a GTA IV character, and you're supposed to guess it.
Guess the Place V2 - Somebody posts a picture or a hint of a GTA IV location and you need to guess it rightly in order to get the point.
Guess the mission! - Someone posts a picture or a hint about some GTA IV mission and the other have to guess the mission.
Algonquin Assassins - Anyone can pull a trigger in GTA, but do you have the skills to hunt, stalk, and eliminate your prey? Find out here.
Spotted! - Took a picture of an amazing car in real life? Share it with the people here.
These would be all the great games around the forums. Sure, not all are games, but there are also topics which are quite funny. Yes, I know I could have forgotten a bunch of games, but, if you know which games I've forgotten, tell me in this topic, or you can easily send me a Personal Message, including a link to the topic. Enjoy.
In this part of the guide I'll link you to some very helpful topics related to GTA Series, Modding, Offtopic Chat, and even more! The GTA series will contain maps, mission guides, checklist, official cheats and more. Enjoy the content!
These would be all the topics I found. I, honestly, have to say that it was a MASSIVE work to make this part of the guide because of all the searching, writing and linking. Still, if there are topics I missed, please do not avoid to tell me in this topic, or to send me a Personal Message and give me a link to them. You'll be added this way in the credit list! Enjoy.
Yes, no one likes rules. However, if there weren't rules in this world or at least in this forum, everyone would do whatever he wants. There are a lot of rules topics in this forum, everyone applicable on its section. I made a little list with all the rules topics found on this forum. At least, try to enjoy...
These would be all the rules topic. They not so many, but you still need to respect them whenever you write in the forums they are applicable to. Still, if you know any other topics related to rules, feel free to PM and give me the link to the rule topic you've found. Or you could also post in this topic. If I think it's okay, than I'll tell you, and will add you in the 'Thanks' list. Enjoy.
As you may know, this topic is not the only newbie guide ever made. There are a lot of other and more helpful guides than this one, the ones which inspired and helped me to create this one. I don't want to ignore anyone else, nor their guides, so I make here a list of all the other guides posted here on GTAForums. Enjoy.
Newb's Guide For Newbs - V.4 - A traditionally newbie guide which looks quite good and gives you the necessary information related to GTAForums.
This would be everything. And what I posted above is not bullsh*t, it's really damn useful. I haven't found any other guides, so if you know any other guides related to GTAForums.com, than post in this topic, or send me a Personal Message giving me the link to the topic. If I think it's good, I'll add you to the 'Thanks' list at the bottom of the guide. Enjoy.
This post has been edited by miromiro on Wednesday, May 1 2013, 14:37
Yes, we're finally at this! I've always said in the parts above that the guys who help me out with this project will be added here. The 'Thanks' part is a list of all members from GTAForums who helped me doing this project. I've split this part in three other sections: The List, Guide Updates & Some last words. If you helped me, you should find yourself here somewhere.
Here is the main list of all users that helped me doing this project, although I don't think they knew what the information they gave me was for. I arranged them in alphabetical order. Clicking on their name will also lead you to their profiles. I've also written the way they helped me. Have a look, you may find yourself here too!
AndyGanteks - Thanks for reminding me about Vin's unofficial gangs list update. (Source)
Butters 2011 - For reminding me about the updated Gaming Chat Reviews Index topic. (Source)
CCPD - For making the awesome banners and the great logo for this guide. Thank you!
Vin. - For allowing me to use his updated gang list. Thank you.
Waddy - Thank you for the commendation. It suits me to keep this guide updated.
This would be everyone. Thanks again to all these people who helped me doing this guide. However, I could have missed someone, so if you know that you have helped me, don't hesitate to shoot me a Personal Message ar you can post in this topic, and if I will remember you helping me I will surely add you on the list.
So, because this is a newbie guide and newbies will always be, I think that updates need to be too as the GTAForums community is really active! I've planned so: I will make in this part of the guide a list linking to updates. However, haven't time to update this guide all the time, so I will update it 12 times a year. This means every 1st of a month this guide will be updated. A list will be made right below with the updates, linking and saying what is updated. Right now this section is empty but when I'll update it first time, here will be added the date. Please please remember that I WILL NOT update any post except on 1st of a month. Everything after that will be added to the next month update. Just to keep it clean...
Added the "Events on GTAForums" topic in the Important Topics list of the Events section. (12.2)
Added shoumic to the "Thanks" list. (13.1)
Added the GTA V "Business" & "Neighbourhoods and Localities" Databases to the GTA V Important Topics list. (12.2)
Added the "Polls are open" & "Results" topics to the Annual Awards 2012 list. (2.3)
Edited the Important Topics list - Hosted Mods - State of Liberty section with a new topic title for the "GTA: SOL - We Have Working Paths Now!" - It was renamed to "Project Research Thread. Mod Tech Updates." which is the same topic. (12.2)
Linked this update to the Guide updates list. (13.2)
Removed the "GTAForums Events Directory" off the Events' Important Topics list. (12.2)
Updated the first post with the new forum stats - the increase of posts number. (1.0)
Updated the picture showing off Karma stars with a new working link. (2.4)
Updated the Funny Games list with the new San Andreas Chain Game round's link. (12.1)
Updated the "Special Collections" section with new statistics / numbers for the medal collections of Ryan, Dutchy3010 & Narcis. (2.5)
Updated the "Your Personal Member Log" section with information about the possibility of a log entry getting removed. (4.6)
Updated the Retired Staff - Moderators list with [B][O][T]'s name, appearing in Topics / Forums, correctly, using a picture instead of text. (9.3)
Updated the GTA IV Funny Games list with the new "Guess the Vehicle" topic link. (12.1)
Updated the "ENJOY" picture at the end of the Guide with a new working link.
So... as this project is so big, I thought that I should say some words... This guide was started on 4 Nov 2010 when I realized that there was no guide which actually can give enough information. I don't want to say that this is the best, I'm just saying that it should contain everything you need to know.
Making this guide took AGES! I worked almost daily on it. All the linking, writing, fixing, was absolutely and extremely hard work. On weekend I always stayed up until 12 PM or 1-2 AM working on it. It was not an easy work, and I have to say, now that I finished it, that it was much harder than I every thought. I actually needed about two months to do the whole guide which is in my opinion, quite a long period.
I've also made a lot of posting systems such as the jumpto tags, tables, urls, etc. It was really a pain to do all these things, but always after hard work, the results are good. Please report in this topic any error or mistake related to the system because I'm pretty sure it's not perfect. I hope you can forgive me if I have done any mistakes in any things.
I just wanted to say that I have a copy of all the guide written on a notepad. So, the jumpto error will be avoided this way. Do you actually want to know how big is the file? Well... it is over 250 kb!!!. It is absolutely enormous. But is always good to have a back up. Right?
I know this guide sucks when you first see it, but remember to collapse the menu. It will look far better like that. I've also taken a look of how all these look on a normal posts, and collapsing the menu will change the look of the guide a lot!
I wanted also to say sorry for using 10 posts to write everything but this is just too big! It was a damn hard work, a massive work I have to say. I really hope someone around can appreciate the work I put into this. Please report any linking error, English error, spelling error or wrong information. I double checked the whole guide for typos, and I hope I fixed them all.
This would be everything about the newbie guide. Finishing this way with my favorite word...